this is my gameboy SP

it has a new type of pro sound that uses SMD resistors, it is as clear as a DMG in my opinion and i am VERY happy with it!

it also has a GBA accelerator from division 6, this allows it to be over or underclocked during play without it crashing

it has been upgraded with the AGS101 internals for a backlit, super bright screen

it has a stelth dimmer also from division 6 which can brighten or darken the backlight at a push of a button

and most importantly it has full midi, with a custom arduinoboy built in!

here is the YOUTUBE video, sorry its so long but i had the midi sockets mixed up!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlheqG-jpiA

i had to cut out the battery compartment to make room for the arduino

a new smaller pre pot pro sound means that it doesn't need the internal switch to mute the audio, which means i can use the old audio/charge socket at the back for my midi connectors

relocation of the audio cap to make room for the pro sound

the new pro sound, i added 3 new resistors, see if you can spot them

the SMD resistors

stelth dimmer and accelerator fitted

accelerator on the underside

the original arduino 5v pro mini was FAR too big, there was no where it would fit at all, so i made a super cut down arduino for the job

fitted a mode switch by recycling the reset switch from an arduino

the biggest part of the project, the optocoupler, using full sized components, but there is loads of room for this

arduinoboy fitted, it is running my version of the arduinoboy software with beeps to indicate mode instead of lights

other side

midi out 220ohm resistor fitted and the pro sound wired

other side you can see the pro sound wires on the right

pro sound wired

all closed. the arduino was going to sit on the top of the CPU but there wasn't space, luckily the buffer chip is thinner

this beast worked first time so i am very pleased with it, be sure to check the youtube video to see how it all works

Tacoma WA

where does he get his wonderful toys - the joker

well now we all know

hhhhnnnnnngggggggggg

nex you crazy

wait until you see what i have planned for my future project, should beat this one pretty bad

Milan, Italy

HOLY FUCK. big_smile

hey do you still need that broken GBA SP? i havent received it yet.. hmm

PDX

You're an insane game boy scientist dude.

Milwaukee, WI

Nice man.  You are very talented!  Tell us more about the prosound mod!  smile

NorthTtrrrway

hehehe...look at that...there is still space left in there !! (?)

Can you fit a projector in a micro? smile

arottenbit wrote:

HOLY FUCK. big_smile

hey do you still need that broken GBA SP? i havent received it yet.. hmm

i'll take any spares that are going wink the SMD cartridge slots on the SP are really useful

Theta_Frost wrote:

Nice man.  You are very talented!  Tell us more about the prosound mod!  smile

i could do a guide for the pro sound, but people have to be confident wiring SMD parts, also it only works on the later AGS101 model

the mist toggles wrote:

hehehe...look at that...there is still space left in there !! (?)

Can you fit a projector in a micro? smile

lol, well actually there is this laser projector tech which might fit!

Spokompton

What is the device installed in the DMG?

This all seems very cool, but honestly I don't understand how the MIDI ports are being used in the video, other than making the LEDs blink in time. I get the feeling I'm missing a bunch of essential backstory.

undergroundclouds wrote:

What is the device installed in the DMG?

This all seems very cool, but honestly I don't understand how the MIDI ports are being used in the video, other than making the LEDs blink in time. I get the feeling I'm missing a bunch of essential backstory.

DMG in the video yea?

that has an arduinoboy in it,

basically the arduinoboy converts the gameboy signals into midi signals and back again. so if you want your gameboy to play in time with your midi drum machine for example, then you can link them together with midi and they will be in sync.

at the moment i don't have any real midi devices (other than a cheap keyboard) to demonstrate the midi sync, so i just synced the two gameboys together.

all this is doing in the video is the same as a link cable and two copies of LSDJ, but with midi instread of gameboy serial. but the main point, is only gameboys understand gameboy serial and so can only sync with each other. millions of things understand midi and so the sync options for the gameboy become much more open, i can sync the gameboy with a computer, or a keyboard or anything with a midi port really.