Toronto

Hi, I'm Jakten!

I'm fairly new to the site I'm mostly a visual artist but I've made chip tunes before using trackers and such but nothing too considerable. I've been wanting to get into it more but I don't enjoy making music on the computer as much as actually playing it. For that reason I wanted to get a keyboard to play on. So my main question is, Can you modify a small keyboard to have the audio chip of a game console. (is there possibly a tutorial? I have a basic knowledge of electronics.) Secondly, I was wondering, if anyone has done this, if they can recommend a nice keyboard? I just want a small portable thing like an old Casio keyboard or something. Something cheap that could fit into a backpack or messenger bag and would be good for adding things onto it.

Thanks!

Last edited by Jakten (Jul 19, 2010 8:50 am)

A gray world of dread
Jakten wrote:

Can you modify a small keyboard to have the audio chip of a game console

Haha, you just hit on one pretty infamous quote in the scene where one.. uh.. person claimed to have done that with an YM. I think it was an YM anyways.

The short answer is no, you can't. There are MIDI options for a lot of consoles though, which give you the same result much, much easier. You still need the host system and midi adapter, so a completely portable option isn't happening unless it's a handheld system.

You can get midi keyboards in all shapes an sizes. I think I saw a tiny Korg midi keyboard for 20 bucks or so recently, damned if I remember the designation though.

rochester, ny

midi keyboard + arduinoboy + cart with MGB + DMG

or

midi keyboard + midines + nes

either way, it's going to be monophonic (except for one mode in MGB).

mini master keyboard (E-MU, Edirol or something) + laptop + YM or NES VST = soundchip from game console controlled by keyboard.  I'm sure there are better ones than triforce these days but it's a start.

Melbourne, Australia

One easy way would be the arduinoboy, which just takes midi signals and sends them to a gameboy running mgb. You would also need a flash cart to put MGB onto (Here and here). Goodluck smile

A gray world of dread
4mat wrote:

mini master keyboard (E-MU, Edirol or something) + laptop + YM or NES VST = soundchip from game console controlled by keyboard.  I'm sure there are better ones than triforce these days but it's a start.

Oh right, totally forgot the emulation option. Of course, if we're going down that road, you can get old keyboards for cheap on ebay that have some nice chippy sound themsleves.

rochester, ny
4mat wrote:

yeah if you want polyphony, using a laptop is the way to go.

Italy

If you like the YM chip and want the real thing there is also this one:
http://www.straytechnologies.com/ym-min … audio-out/
you attach it to your laptop via usb and control all the parameters via CC
of course you won't have poliphony with this one...

Kalamazoo

try to contact this guy, maybe he can hook you up with some ideas... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LZUH0p6 … p;index=81 or you could get a Sidstation, but they're discontinued and very expensive to get one second-hand

Last edited by Pastel Arsenal (Jul 19, 2010 6:10 pm)

Toronto

Hmmm, thanks guys!

I think the best method would be getting a midi keyboard and arduinoboy at the moment, at least until I get some more money. If I were to use MGB program what is the downfall of using the polyphonic mode?

µB wrote:

Oh right, totally forgot the emulation option. Of course, if we're going down that road, you can get old keyboards for cheap on ebay that have some nice chippy sound themsleves.

Any recommendations? I've been looking at getting a Casio PT-80 but I'm worried it will only be able to play one note at a time.

That C64 Keytar is wicked though I imagine it would be ridiculously expensive. I bet it would begreat fun to play around with though.

A gray world of dread

Have a look at this list:
http://weltenschule.de/TableHooters/instruments.html

Each keyboard is sorted by tone generation type and has a nice description if you click its link. For many you can find sound examples on youtube. I personally like the Yamaha PSS series.
Check the PSS-100: