Philly

So, I was wondering when they'd finally do it for DS.  But apparently it's been done!  http://www.scummvm.org/downloads/
I haven't tested it yet, but this will make my year if it does!

EDIT: More info here: http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/

It's funny how I never thought to look for this!

Last edited by Ro-Bear (Jul 23, 2010 6:30 pm)

New York City

I really don't like it, I guess I am spoiled by the PSP version.

philly

Yeah, I played around with it a bit as well and wasn't very fond of it*. The DS probably isn't the best platform for it, in-spite of how awesome touch-screen interactivity should be. With any luck the 3DS will get hacked and there'll be a nicer scummvm for that, further down the road...

*Edit: I played a little Beneath a Steel Sky on it. I couldn't get The Secret of Monkey Island working, as I recall.

Last edited by bucky (Jul 23, 2010 10:52 pm)

San Francisco

what now?

BK

love ScummVM, but I have to say the PSP version is more awesome.
granted, anything that lets people carry old LucasArts games in their pockets is a good thing in my book.

Chicago IL

damn i've just been getting back into DS homebrew, been wanting to play the dig again for ever

philly
wedanced wrote:

what now?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ScummVM smile

))<>((

anyone want to elaborate what's wrong with the DS version?

Philly
bucky wrote:

in-spite of how awesome touch-screen interactivity should be.

This is what I was praying it would be.  I've been too busy playing Dragon Quest 9 to bother with it yet but hopefully it will be touch based for 3ds.  Supposedly Monkey Island is coming to the Ipad which is brilliant.

philly
tacticalbread wrote:

anyone want to elaborate what's wrong with the DS version?

I haven't used it in years, so it's very likely it has been improved since then. I don't recall all the issues I had with it, but I remember that having to squish the graphics to 256x192 was kind of a pain in the butt. The solution for this is that you have a squished screen and a 'zoomed' screen (that looks fine but you can't see the whole screen as a result and have to slide around). You can switch which screen is which easily on the fly.

I think they handled the resolution of the DS as best as they could, so it's not their fault or anything. smile It's just... not very likable. Between having these games on the go at anytime or having to wait and play on a better version of scummvm (on my PC at home), the latter was preferable. The DS version was by no means horrible or anything, though. I'm not necessarily even recommending against using it, others may be perfectly content with it.

Also, after some more poking around I can see that you can't play The Dig or Full Throttle without ram expansion in the GBA slot.

Last edited by bucky (Jul 24, 2010 1:01 am)

New York City

The resolution is horrible but I guess better is nothing.
I am spoiled because I also have the PSP which has a far superior version, otherwise I'd be OK with it, as said by Bucky, nothing can beat having thee games on the go.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jul 24, 2010 2:56 am)

San Francisco
Saskrotch wrote:

the dig

THIS.

I actually just found a book on tape based on the game that I bought when I was little. I used to play this all the time but not know what the hell i was doing cuz i was too young to understand.