rochester, ny

has anyone here ever used an ipad as a midi controller? i know there are several apps out there that do this.

i'm considering selling off a large portion of my midi controllers and buying one of these. i have so many that i'm just never going to use. they sit in boxes in my closet, collecting dust. if i could sell them off and buy one of these things, i feel like that'd be a great trade.

but i'm not going to do that until i do my research.

something like this seems like it would be amazing - http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/03/2 … ad-iphone/

San Francisco

i was talking to docpop and he was telling me about some midi interface for the ipad that he had tried...i cant remember tho....

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

yeah it's possible. My friend has one and he controls ableton and his access virus at the same time. it's pretty bad ass i gotta say..
It's a powerful toy that allows you to feel like you're on an episode of start trek.

Italy

TouchOSC (which as the name says uses OSC not midi) is an interesting option, though I've heard many reports of it not being very reliable in a live situation. Right now the only means of sending and receiving data from the ipad is through Wi-Fi, and that's apparently where the problem lies.
Before you start selling stuff you might want to test the ipad solution... it might not be as cool as it looks...
On the other hand... controlling old school chips with an ipad is a bit of an oxymoron, don't you think so?

rochester, ny
rumpelfilter wrote:

TouchOSC (which as the name says uses OSC not midi) is an interesting option, though I've heard many reports of it not being very reliable in a live situation. Right now the only means of sending and receiving data from the ipad is through Wi-Fi, and that's apparently where the problem lies.
Before you start selling stuff you might want to test the ipad solution... it might not be as cool as it looks...
On the other hand... controlling old school chips with an ipad is a bit of an oxymoron, don't you think so?

i've heard that different programs have varying degrees of latency. it was more of a problem on the iphone though. the ipad is faster so there's less latency.

New York City

Regardless of it being fast or not, I suppose there will be tons of latency problems over a wireless connection, not to mention data packet loss etc.
I wouldn't suggest it.

Tacoma WA

interesting

this just went up on CDM
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/07/2 … ntrol-free

i thought that ipad stuff used OSC? 
so everything gets timed stamped way more efficient than MIDI from what i've read.

never played with it yet though.

Iceland

I swear if I read one more thing about the iPad I'm going to stab either myself or somebody else.

Maybe somebody who is wearing a scarf indoors and/or thick rimmed glasses.

rochester, ny

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/08/0 … all-bases/

this doesnt look like there's any latency problems at all. watch that first video. especially the part where he plays the hi hat thing.

using this with midi nes and an arduinoboy with mgb would be pretty sick.

GNV / FL / USA
akira^8GB wrote:

Regardless of it being fast or not, I suppose there will be tons of latency problems over a wireless connection, not to mention data packet loss etc.
I wouldn't suggest it.

I think you can use TouchOSC with bluetooth, which may be more reliable?

Either way I've seen people use it live and it seems OK. I have it, have tested it, but never used it in a live situation.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

once again... i've seen an iPad in action for use w/ a PC and w/ hardware... it works fantastic.