Minneapolis
little-scale wrote:

How much do Apple II's go for these days?

Depends on where you look. On ePay you'll find them for the $20-$120 range depending on model and options. A stock ROM 01 IIgs with no drives or anything is probably one of the cheapest options for entry level.

Ultimately though, if you're in the market for a II, you should be checking forums and Craigslist for the deals. Like the Vintage Computer Forums. Here is my rough estimate of pricing/usefulness for the Apple II line.

Apple II: ($100+, not very useful)
Apple II+ ($100+, slightly more useful, limited RAM)
Apple IIe ($20+, pretty decent for 8 bit software)
Apple IIc ($30+, portable, but not expandable)
Apple IIgs ($10+, price varies wildly based on upgrades, most powerful)

Apple III ($???, really rare, not really suited for music)

Los Angeles
arfink wrote:

Nice. Let me know when you get that going. Logan and Stefan have been kinda coming to me for IIgs stuff. As for doing music on apple II, here is something which you'll all find useful:

http://eightbitsoundandfury.ld8.org/

Run by my buddy Luddite! It covers most everything for Apple II, but not for IIgs.

Logan- I'm gonna email John again today, since he's back at work and could probably check for me, and I have to go up there every day to pick my brother up from school anyhow, so if he still has one I could get it this week. Also, I'm going to need to recap mine, it's getting very shakey for the first 20 mins or use or so. Very annoying.

Love that site, been going there for years! Can you ask him to stop zipping the disk images in that weird format I cant unzip?@!

thanks wink

Los Angeles

These are the ones to get.
Apple IIe ($20+, pretty decent for 8 bit software) + You can get music cards & drum cards and runs most software. I have one that runs drumkey.

Apple IIc ($30+, portable, but not expandable) + You can get a "Cricket" sound module and runs most software. I have one that runs MCS and the new 1 bit synth software.

Apple IIgs ($10+, price varies wildly based on upgrades, most powerful) has a 16 channel 8 bit sound chip by the guy who designed the sid chip. Runs most Apple II software too!

Last edited by 8bitweapon (Jan 12, 2010 9:30 pm)

Seattle, WA
8bitweapon wrote:

Apple IIc ($30+, portable, but not expandable) + You can get a "Cricket" sound module and runs most software

Have you found any "Cricket" modules lately?  I used to look around for them all the time, that and the mockingboard, but gave up after a while.  I'm about to just dump my //c...  I can't justify having it around if I don't start using it more.  Isn't there a file transfer interface for the //c around now as well?  I guess it's about time I dust if off and start doing some more research.  smile

[edit] also, I have a IIgs Midi card that I bought thinking I could install it in the //c, I don't have a IIgs so, I guess I could sell it to one of you gs dudes if you wanted, it comes with a diskette as well (drivers/software).  When I get home tonight I'll check what card and disk it is.

Last edited by athleos (Jan 12, 2010 9:22 pm)

New York City

I had an Apple IIGS and the moment I turned it on I blew up the power supply. I threw it away D:
I still kind of want one.

Los Angeles

I own a cricket, nice external 4 voice module. Its stereo even!

Minneapolis
8bitweapon wrote:
arfink wrote:

Nice. Let me know when you get that going. Logan and Stefan have been kinda coming to me for IIgs stuff. As for doing music on apple II, here is something which you'll all find useful:

http://eightbitsoundandfury.ld8.org/

Run by my buddy Luddite! It covers most everything for Apple II, but not for IIgs.

Logan- I'm gonna email John again today, since he's back at work and could probably check for me, and I have to go up there every day to pick my brother up from school anyhow, so if he still has one I could get it this week. Also, I'm going to need to recap mine, it's getting very shakey for the first 20 mins or use or so. Very annoying.

Love that site, been going there for years! Can you ask him to stop zipping the disk images in that weird format I cant unzip?@!

thanks wink

I can unzip those... use Ciderpress.

Minneapolis

Cricket- got pics? Or better yet, circuit diagrams?

Los Angeles
arfink wrote:

I do. Noisetracker 1.0, moving up to 2.0 when my MicroDrive comes in.

I googled it and only got a rom download, what is it and is there a site for it?

Last edited by 8bitweapon (Jan 12, 2010 10:13 pm)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

I believe you don't want to attempt 2.0 unless you have memory expansion and or the processor upgrade. Artfink would have the answer to this. Maybe post the minimum requirements. Excited to get a monitor soon. smile

Minneapolis

OK, NTGS 2.0 requires just a hair over 2 megs of RAM, and the hard disk is definitely recommended although you can run it from floppy. The only thing is, you have to be running from GS/OS 6.0.1, which has pretty hefty requirements itself.

As for finding NTGS, you can get 1.0 here:
http://www.whatisthe2gs.apple2.org.za/noisetracker

And the other two you get here:
http://mirrors.apple2.org.za/ground.ica … .V1.40.SHK
http://mirrors.apple2.org.za/ground.ica … GSv2.0.SHK

You will need Ciderpress or ShrinkIt in order to extract those last two.