brighton, uk

Not an expert on electronics.

Can barely read a schematic.

Would it be possible to implement this chip into a gameboy?

http://www.holtek.com/pdf/consumer/8970v110.pdf

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

If you wanted any control over it, probably not.  Not internally, anyway.  It's just a matter of space limitation, though, if you made a breakout box you could do it easily enough.  However, if you were going to make it external you'd probably be better off utilizing standard 1/4" or RCA jacks so you could use the unit with anything you had.

However, depending on the size of the chip and how creative you got, you might be able to put it in with little or no control over it.  If you remove the speaker and put a pot (potentiometers) in there, you might be able to control enough to get dial in the reverb, though you'd be hard pressed to it controls for any other parameters.

I suppose you could get creative, utilizing one (or more) of the channels in LSDJ to control the parameters of the chip may allow you to use one Game Boy as an effect unit for another.  Realisticly speaking though, you'd probably just want to put a bunch of knobs together in a box with a couple inputs and outputs if you wanted to use an IC like that to it's potential.

Now, on an NES you could certainly do it.  The NES has so much extra case space it wouldn't be hard at all.  Throw a couple pots in and route the audio ouput through the chip and you could have some sweet built-in effects.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Aug 6, 2010 8:56 pm)

you could fit it with set pot amounts, and then just an on off switch

matt's mind

correct me if i'm wrong...

but it looks like a mono effect.  to maintain stereo you'd need two of these, or a different IC with L-input and R-input (or whatever).  and L- and R-output

unless i missed something...  its probable

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
NeX wrote:

you could fit it with set pot amounts, and then just an on off switch

Yeah, or just have one pot and one switch.  You might be able to fit all that if you use a very small switch and a very small pot.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Aug 7, 2010 8:10 pm)

how many pots & switches would be ideal?
if someone can draw me a simple outline i might be able to make it all fit.
im putting in a battery pack so i should have plenty of extra room soon

kitsch wrote:

correct me if i'm wrong...

but it looks like a mono effect.  to maintain stereo you'd need two of these, or a different IC with L-input and R-input (or whatever).  and L- and R-output

unless i missed something...  its probable

true, these are guitar effects so they are mono you would have to sum the audio or use two chips.

that also means that any pots used would have to be stereo making them bigger, unless you had maybe a bank of SMD digital pots...

still i think that you would only want delay on one channel, delay on drums sounds horrible. so you would probably be using two gameboys anyway.

Wellington, NZ

I do want to try something like this though.  I'll start smaller, a simple cutoff filter or something

just because this is relitive and maybe people haven't seen it:

http://nex.gg8.se/modblog/2009/12/nuby- … everb-box/