Chicago, IL USA

So I just moved here from Brooklyn, where we were all spoiled with a million chip shows a month and pulsewave, and 8static, just a short ways away, and just a bit further, Boston8bit. I was working way too much to be able to take advantage of the buffet of live chip music at my doorstep. Now, I'm getting ready to go back to school, have a little bit more time on my hands and I have no live chip music. I really really want to be more involved. I want to make more music, play more shows, hone my skills and learn from/ help others. For many years I was involved in the punk scene in Miami, and I've seen people put great things together with almost nothing, especially in a musical wasteland like Miami, I'm sure we can do it here.

I know Saskrotch (WHO HAS ONE OF MY FAV CHIP ALBUMS AS OF LATE AND I REALLY WANT TO SEE LIVE) and esc (WHO I HAD THE PLEASURE OF ROCKING OUT TO ONCE IN BROOKLYN AND NEED MORE OF) live near by. I've just met Rawkz0rz, who is a fan of da chips and just learning LSDJ wanting to make some music/start up a scene too. I know there are some people in the surrounding areas as well.

I'll be attending SAIC and Rawkzorz goes to Columbia, both of which, as art schools, have free space for the taking, and some equipment to make use of (also for free). I feel pretty confident we could get a semi-constant thing going. There also seem to be some more "unusual music" friendly venues around. Which may be explored more if/when this thing grows a little.

I know we're all broke, and we all have work and obligations, but I for one am ready to put in a little effort to make a community out here, with the hopes that some others are as well. Talking a little with Br1ght Pr1mate, and seeing what they've been abIe to achieve in Boston, I feel confident that if we can make a place for people to come, we might just be surprised who/ what will come out of the woodworks to fill the void.

So, who's in?Lets make it happen.

My email is [email protected] . Hit me up, or send me a PM here. I will get back to you. I'd like to maybe plan something as soon as mid/late september. Drop me a line. Lets meet up, lets grab a beer/coffee/food. Lets talk chips and make some plans.

Last edited by NOM STAR (Dec 12, 2010 9:22 am)

IL, US

ill help out..have a PA of my own, if its needed...also, finally settled into my new place, so itll be safe for people to come over soon

edit: also theres this coming up
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=142754015753991
me, saskrotch, kkrusty, bknox, shitbird, sir.vixx & a ton of other people, playing in a barn for the 2nd stage of an outdoor rave

Chicago, IL USA

Awesome!  Glad you're settling in man. And glad you're on board.

On the show tip, I'll have to figure out how to get to the west suburbs but I shall find a way! Can't wait for this.

IL, US

im sure therell be multiple cars from the city heading out, i know ill be driving, protman probably will too, same with baconhanger

edit: guess its worth noting that i can help with visuals/graphic design/photography/video documentation etc as well

Chicago, IL USA

Awesome, as it get gets closer, we'll def be in touch about a potential car pool.

And that is very worth noting! I'm looking in to some options for visuals as well. I have an NES advantage which is supposed to be of pretty great help, even if we just get it hooked up to a laptop and emulator combo. The new lightwall rom an all coming out was thus far my only headway.

Fuckin Ballin!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

We'll have to have you up to MN sometime Nom Star

Chicago, IL USA
low-gain wrote:

We'll have to have you up to MN sometime Nom Star

I'd love to! Part of this whole new life phase (grad school) is the wonderful return of having a somewhat set schedule, so making stuff like that happen becomes much easier. I'm super excited! And as soon as we get something going you'll have to come to Chi-town! Yay cross pollination! I was able to make it out to play Boston8bit right before leaving New York. It was such a great experience, part of what's fueling the fire for getting this thing on its feet. 

NOM STAR = Amped

Kalamazoo

Hey I'd like to get down when/if I can. I live in Kalamazoo, MI (yes there is actually a Kalamazoo), which is about a 2-3 hr. drive from chi-town. I also visit chicago at least 2 or 3 times a year lately. I wouldn't be able to be a "regular", but once I save up for some gear and get my car fixed I'd love to come out and play/watch some shows with you guys. It would be great to have another excuse to visit that town more!

Last edited by Pastel Arsenal (Aug 10, 2010 11:33 pm)

Chicago, IL USA
Pastel Arsenal wrote:

Hey I'd like to get down when/if I can. I live in Kalamazoo, MI (yes there is actually a Kalamazoo), which is about a 2-3 hr. drive from chi-town. I also visit chicago at least 2 or 3 times a year lately. I wouldn't be able to be a "regular", but once I save up for some gear and get my car fixed I'd love to come out and play/watch some shows with you guys. It would be great to have another excuse to visit that town more!

Sounds excellent! I have high hopes. Can't wait to have something for people to come to. Regular, sometimes, whenever!

IL, US
Pastel Arsenal wrote:

you should talk to octavial silver, dj cactus & the other detroit area people too, since its not a bad drive either...also, you can take the amtrak to chicago from kalamazoo for about $30 each way

Milwaukee, WI

I don't know how much I can help but I'd be game to hang out or anything or see some shows.  smile

Chicago, IL USA

In my book, attendance and community is help.  smile

Chicago IL

drew fernando from greenleaf and orange drink is starting to get shit together round here. me and kkrusty are trying to get something going too.

Chicago, IL USA
Saskrotch wrote:

drew fernando from greenleaf and orange drink is starting to get shit together round here. me and kkrusty are trying to get something going too.

In that case just lemmie know what I can do to help!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

now all you  chicagans need to do is not work in independent groups and just work together smile

MIDWEST Unite!!!!!!!

IL, US
low-gain wrote:

now all you  chicagans need to do is not work in independent groups and just work together smile

MIDWEST Unite!!!!!!!

umm yeah
ive actually offered help to basically everyone in the past...i didnt buy that PA for myself