My Commodore 64-SX, like all SXs, doesn't have a connector for a datasette. but is there a way to create one, using some wiring into the main board, and maybe an external power suply? or is this one of those can't be done kinda things...

New York City

Why do you want to use the datassette, I wonder?
As far as I know all the stuff for connecting the datassette is NOT there so you can't make it. It's not like they just didn't include the connector, they removed the functionality.

I've got some stuff on tape I want to use. Ah well, if it can't be done, it can't be done.

I'll have to find myself another commodore with a diskdrive tongue

Minneapolis

Well, I suspect the functionality is still in there, because it's integrated into the ICs. My guess is that if you found the schematics you could find it, or someone else could. Also, check on some retro-computer forums, someone has probably attempted this.

EDIT: even if, as Akira asserts, the circuitry isn't there, it's (probably) just an A/D converter going to a set of address lines, probably through a multiplexer or primitive UART. Something could be built to replace it.

Last edited by arfink (Aug 16, 2010 7:55 pm)

Hmm, if something has to be build, it might be a bit over my head. I thought it could've been just disabled because of the less powerful powersuply....

ah well.

thanks for the tips anyway smile

Last edited by Timbob (Aug 17, 2010 9:19 am)

Minneapolis
Timbob wrote:

Hmm, if something has to be build, it might be a bit over my head. I thought it could've been just disabled because of the less powerful powersuply....

ah well.

thanks for the tips anyway smile

If you can do some more research you can probably get this worked out, or find someone who can. I highly suggest you ask questions over here: http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum … -Commodore

Those forums are filled with very knowledgeable users, including alot of original users and original developers. You can almost always find the technical info you need if you are patient and ask politely.

New York City

Less powerful power supply? It's actually a LOT MORE powerful, since it also drives the television inside, a 1541, etc.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Aug 17, 2010 1:07 pm)