FERNDALE, MI, USA

im looking to pick up a cheap midi keyboard that doesn't need to be plugged into a computer. this would be used for my arduino + mGB set up. that's about it, nothing to fancy. :3

Unsubscribe

get a 1st gen oxygen 8.. super cheap secondhand.. and durable!

FERNDALE, MI, USA

right on! thank you so much for the speedy answer, this looks like it'll do the trick.

New York City

I hate Midiman/M-Audio anything. They are not durable, and they feel like toys.
For the same price you can possibly get an Edirol PCR-30 (first gen), which is a lot better and I surely have thrashed it and the thing survived.

^ I agree. Except for the Axiom series which is a much better build that it's predecessors.

York, Yorkshire

Mate of mine has a Mk1 Oxygen 8 and it feels fine.  But I totally agree when it comes to their full size.  Most are cheap and nasty.  Not tried an Axion yet.

I *love* the rest of their stuff. Their sound cards and midi interfaces are the dogs. Got a AudioBuddy and MidiSport in the studio, totally bomb proof smile

Last edited by BitPop (Jan 14, 2010 3:12 pm)

Germany, near Berlin

I have a Behringer UMA25S, it has both an integrated USB MIDI and audio interface, 8 controller knobs and a midi out port.

It can run on batteries and it comes with an attachable shoulder strap.  big_smile

Sheffield, UK

I have an edirol pcr-30 to and its fine and gets ragged about by me, very durable and cheap, 32 key 8 rotary 8 sliders
I havent got that behringer one or had one but ive heard there abit tacky and not very durable by alot of people, and many reveiws online, although ive never tried one.
i got my pcr 30 for £55 on ebay

PDX

I have the Novation X-Station 25, great controller, and is also a great portable interface with effects. I have gone through 4 M-Audios, I am not joking. I had an 88 weighted M-Audio that I gave away for free. If someone wants it, the guy I gave it to hates it too, LOL... the action was horrible. The USB breaks on the M-Audio's in a year without fail (right outside warranty). A 25 note controller kind of sucks if you actually play piano or keyboard, and I constantly wish I had a 49 key or even the MicroKorg. I generally use the 25 key controller just to try out sounds before programming stuff manually since it really isn't big enough to "play" on except with one hand.

Edit: missed the word "cheap" - if you don't have the cash, I'd still go to Best Buy and get a damn M-Audio 49, they are $99. It will be dead in a year, but they are very SIMPLE which is good. I wouldn't buy a used M-Audio, or Alesis, or Behringer. Otherwise they are fine while they work.

Last edited by RushCoil (Jan 19, 2010 11:30 pm)