Unsubscribe
4mat wrote:

I dunno, genres aside I find it difficult to listen to submission after submission done on a Gameboy or NES, the soundchips really aren't that versatile.   Plus the 'mario at a rave' accusations we normally get lumbered with are a bit hard to shake when the basic timbre of a lot of the music is from the same hardware.

Ive given up trying to listen to every piece of music created for chip a long while ago. good shit will float to the surface.. if you are getting sick of generic chip music, the obvious answer is to only listen to good chip music big_smile. Or none at all!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Frank is my brother from another mother. heart

I'm not sick of generic chip music, I'm sick of generic chips being used to make generic chipmusic.

Washington DC
4mat wrote:

I'm not sick of generic chip music, I'm sick of generic chips being used to make generic chipmusic.

This is pretty much exactly why I'm trying to slowly advance into a more hybrid set up. If esc or little-scale weren't so readily avaliable for communication on the web, id have no effin clue what the majority of their songs were composed on. Which I think says more about their willingness to smash all kinds of gear together than it does my tin ears.

Unsubscribe
4mat wrote:

The ground floor of any scene is full of people who haven't yet found a unique voice, or simply may never find a unique voice. If you walked into a guitar store, dont be surprised to hear a half assed version of 'stairway".  With enthusiasts there will always be people who's enthusiasm exceeds their ability.

Is there any method to make music that isn't plagued by crap on the internet? I can easily overlook that facet of the scene, but what drives me nuts is the constant bellyaching from people that such crap exists. The price of democracy is that everyone has a chance to get their material out and its up to others to determine whether or not that material is what gains traction. At the end of the day, if the scene's tastes fail to meat your expectations, all you can do is lead by example and make the material that you yourself are happy with.

4mat wrote:

I dunno, genres aside I find it difficult to listen to submission after submission done on a Gameboy or NES, the soundchips really aren't that versatile.   Plus the 'mario at a rave' accusations we normally get lumbered with are a bit hard to shake when the basic timbre of a lot of the music is from the same hardware.

You're kinda missing my point a bit, it's not technical or musical ability I'm talking about it's down to the basic timbre of the chips.  The sound is so over-saturated these days that even the best new stuff doesn't really stand out anymore, and they're becoming the 'autotune' of chipmusic in a way.  I'm just surprised far more people aren't swapping or augmenting their sound with other devices to get away from that problem, but then maybe I'm wrong in thinking there is a problem.   Anyway, carebears:

Westfield, NJ
4mat wrote:

I'm just surprised far more people aren't swapping or augmenting their sound with other devices to get away from that problem

It doesn't help that the community has a strong bias for music made on Gameboys.

Andrew Winzenburg wrote:

Wow, that's a handsome cat. Sorry for being off topic but I thought that needed pointed out.

Milwaukee, WI
4mat wrote:

You're kinda missing my point a bit, it's not technical or musical ability I'm talking about it's down to the basic timbre of the chips.  The sound is so over-saturated these days that even the best new stuff doesn't really stand out anymore, and they're becoming the 'autotune' of chipmusic in a way.  I'm just surprised far more people aren't swapping or augmenting their sound with other devices to get away from that problem, but then maybe I'm wrong in thinking there is a problem.   Anyway, carebears:

Some of us have felt this way since '01/'02 onward. I also agree with several other comments as well.

brighton, uk
herr_prof wrote:

only listen to good chip music big_smile. Or none at all!

Daughter/CMDR for 2010 release. Non-generic danceable chip/dance music.

A gray world of dread
4mat wrote:

The sound is so over-saturated these days that even the best new stuff doesn't really stand out anymore, and they're becoming the 'autotune' of chipmusic in a way.  I'm just surprised far more people aren't swapping or augmenting their sound with other devices to get away from that problem, but then maybe I'm wrong in thinking there is a problem.

I'd attribute that to a combination of popularity and availability. For those picking up chipmusic in the third wave, it's very likely that they were inspired to do so by someone using a GB or NES, as that was the choice of the most popular acts. Also, GBs are a bit more readily available (and cheaper) than a CPC, Atari, C64 or Amiga, plus they have the portability bonus. FamiTracker is a little easier to understand than DIY waveform trackers like Milky/FT2, AT2 (FM synthesis is not really beginner friendly) and most other hardware native trackers.
I was very excited when the FM feature for Nanoloop appeared, because it opened up plenty new soundscapes for the GB. I'd love to see that make a jump into LSDJ, as that seems to be the more popular choice among users.

I agree somewhat on the oversaturation of Nintendo stuff, especially GB music has become less and less attractive for me, and tracks I can enjoy are few and far between. It's still the most popular though, and unless that shifts people are going to use it.

Melbourne, Australia

*ahem* BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK HEY BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK BRK

Last edited by Derris-Kharlan (Aug 29, 2010 9:48 pm)

Washington DC

Derris won. Everyone go home.

Unsubscribe
4mat wrote:

You're kinda missing my point a bit, it's not technical or musical ability I'm talking about it's down to the basic timbre of the chips.  The sound is so over-saturated these days that even the best new stuff doesn't really stand out anymore, and they're becoming the 'autotune' of chipmusic in a way.  I'm just surprised far more people aren't swapping or augmenting their sound with other devices to get away from that problem, but then maybe I'm wrong in thinking there is a problem. ]

Well isnt that how electronic music trends? We stagger along oversaturating a sound until somone finds a new amen break?

I really love the sound of distorted guitars, but 30 years of listening to the same basic tones hasn't reduced that any. But i don't listen to a steady diet of chipmusic, and i can hardly blame a person who's had a 10 year headstart on me his right to be burnt out on chip waveforms.