Tokyo, Japan

I just switched back to Linux for a while and pretty much the only thing I miss about windows is xmplay. What are all my linux using brothers and sisters running? I have tried Audacious but it gave me the horrors listening to adlib files. Im also particularly interested in finding something which plays SNDH files well. Should I be using a suite of programs? running something through wine? Also I tried Audio Overload but it seems a little bare bones to me.

any help much appreciated.

Minneapolis

Haha! I use Rythmbox, but not for chip formats. Then I use Totem with a whole pile of extra Gstreamer plugins. If you are using Ubuntu they're both already installed and all you'll need is the codecs/plugins.

Tokyo, Japan

Do you just drop all the plugins I the gstreamer folder? What are you using for sndh?

Cambridge UK

Linux related question, though a bit unrelated to the topic, though related to making music :

Does anyone here use a low latency tweaked Linux kernel ?

Central-ish VA

I was about to suggested Audacious, but it seems that's what you've already got.  It plays NSF for me just fine, haven't tried to install anything else as of yet to run other formats.

Brunswick, GA USA

On Linux I use Amarok and Xine for most playback.  I listen to NSFs in the emulator of the moment (often FCEU) and SIDs in SIDPLAY.

I have RT kernels but I get a better experience when I leave the latency in.  (I have learned to anticipate the latency, and to be honest, I get higher latency on Win XP in my laptop than I do on Linux at home.)

Last edited by chunter (Jan 13, 2010 10:16 pm)

Cambridge UK
chunter wrote:

to be honest, I get higher latency on Win XP in my laptop than I do on Linux at home.

Well, that's a given...

I've got a question for you : do you find that your computer gets a lot hotter when running on low latency vs. regular?
I'm thinking about switching my MacBook from Ubuntu to Ubuntu Studio, but (even though I tweaked my fan speed) it gets really, really hot at times when running Ubuntu. I fear I might fry it... hmm

Miami, FL

@Lazerbeat: Rhythmbox plays SIDs and XMs I believe.

@George: I run a low latency kernels. I think the issue lies with the MacBook, last time I installed Ubuntu on a Mac I noticed the Mac was running hotter than with OSX.

Honestly, I'd prob keep the MacBook with OSX. You do know you can get Ardour and JACK for Mac, right?

Brunswick, GA USA

I have a very wide case, and I overclock a little, and didn't notice much difference temperature-wise.  Then again, I think the single-core Athlon 64's are supposed to be good at taking to sort of thing.

░▒▓█▄▀▌▄

moc - console audio player (mocp)

Cambridge UK

@goatslacke : I know the problem is MacIntel w/ Ubuntu. My PowerPC iBook is totes cool with Debian. But I'm sticking to it (it's pretty much solved, I'm much happier with its performances under Unbuntu than under OS X). The question is, would the overheating issue get much worse with Ubuntu Studio? There's a limit to what this fan can do.

Last edited by George (Jan 14, 2010 12:41 am)

For GBS files, GBSplay is a wonderful and simple terminal player. Same with SIDplay.

Sweden

I haven't tried myself, but I found this: http://support.xmplay.com/article.php?id=38

Washington DC

When I was on Linux I ran Virtua NSF through wine. Worked pretty alright.

Tokyo, Japan

I appreciate this is a huge necrobump but I was pleased to find out totally by chance that Banshee, which seems to be replacing Rbox as the linux music player of choice, plays mod and xm~!

uk

For those who use mpd as their music library. If compile from source you can enable xm/mod/it and a bunch of other file extensions playback. It uses modplug library which can be installed from the repos.