Battle Lava - Searching for Ghosts - 09/02/10

Created using LSDJ and a Nintendo Game Boy.  All songs and cover art by Battle Lava.

Track Listing:

1 - Shuttle
2 - Bodies Floating in Zero Gravity
3 - In the Frenzy, a Tether Unwinding
4 - Metal Arm
5 - Decompression

Stream & Download

NYC

buying....

heart heart heart

WOW. INSTANTLY I AM OWNED.

Retired

I wrote a review of this EP because I wanted to share my thoughts and ideas with Battle Lava. I also think that writing some review is important because it is ultimately the only feedback we can get on our music. I also think that sharing opinions, ideas, and suggesting alternative technique/sound/structure can be interesting and fun. I also think that it's a good way to give something in return for the good music we hear and it's also a important part of being a music community.

Retired

Battle Lava Searching for ghost
(The cover art is really nice)

****Decompression

The kick is really snappy, I like it.

The arp sound that comes in between 0:17 and 0:18 could have a better tuning (maybe by using exactly the same note as the “leading arp” in the right ear.

Keys are fucked at 1:21, also at 1:28, 1:46  etc… (there is one chord that doesn’t fit with the other) Maybe you did this on purpose and it’s ok but you could have found a better chord than this one (musically speaking)

The sound before the breakdown is nice, and I like the mood that comes in…

I like the noise work in the second part

I like the structure of the song but maybe the climax of the song happen to soon then goes on more relax. (I personnaly like it… but it’s less common).

****Metal Arm

Perfect 10/10 (I like everything about this song, it’s so good man)

****Shuttle

I like the distorded lead and the bassy pluck sound in the right ear but I would like to hear more melodies from both instruments. The “delay” on the main arp is great.

I also like the “broken” beat. I would have liked to hear the main arp stopping somewhere to hear just the distorted lead and pluck with the beat.

Overall, I really enjoy the sounds, but it seems like the song is never really starting. It’s cool though.

****Bodies floating in gravity zero

The bassline is beautiful. I will say it again… the bass line is fucking awesome. I like the opera-ish sound too.

I’ve got nothing to say about this one, another great song.

****In the frenzy…

This is experimental music. The beginning up until 1:30 is awesome. The noise beat in the left ear + the kick and the noise in both ear is really punchy (and very creative). After that it’s so bad (bad in a good way)” I like when it’s dark. It feels a bit empty cause the noise beat never comes back (maybe using some noise to highlight some part of the melody would be cool, I don’t know, it’s just an idea). I like the clumsy melody that starts at 3:23.
It feels a bit long but it change enough so it’s ok, but more variation in the bass pattern would have been cool. I would have stop the song at 4:10, after that, it become less interesting and a bit repetitive (in my opinion).

Overall, you make a really good use of the pan (it reminds me that I should stop being lazy with this command…) and every song has a nice L/R balance with the instruments. I also enjoyed the noise work, specially with high frequency sounds (the “ting” sounds… you know instead of “tss”). Good use of tempo change. You should try making beats in 3:4 for fun.

That’s it man. Thanks for the good music!

Brazil

Going to listen tomorrow

California

It does not  say if you found the ghosts or not, Also the diagonal lines make it seem like you may actually be the one being hunted. blew my mind!
i like metal arm.

Yeah, it's open ended.  I'm glad you like it.

I like that you're interpreting the album art  ^__^