Unsubscribe

from a live performance standpoint, it would be better to put all cable outputs on the bottom

Canada
herr_prof wrote:

from a live performance standpoint, it would be better to put all cable outputs on the bottom

Hmm... this is very true, but the way the case is set up makes it difficult to do this. Though I suppose using a big headphone board, that could be possible. For at least the first version of this, I'm going to leave it as it is for the sake of simplicity. Definitely a good idea to consider for the future though! smile

philly

Posting to say I'm interested in seeing where this is going! smile

Low-Gain, don't be rude and offer useless, cynical input. If there's one thing I and many others here can't stand, it's people being needlessly discouraging. You've made NES mods, for one. Should people have told you to 'quit fucking around'? Be an adult and show respect for others.

Last edited by bucky (Sep 7, 2010 5:38 am)

uhajdafdfdfa

I'm really confused now because I thought Low-Gain invented the pro sound mod!! xD

This looks really cool though, hopefully you can do some fun stuff with it! Maybe the wasted address space that was used for the mirrored RAM that nitro2k01 was talking about could be used for an extra soundchip instead (ps. I have no idea if this is how GB/Z80 works)? That would be quite cool (although new software would have to be created I guess).

It looks fun anyway. smile Good luck!

Last edited by ant1 (Sep 7, 2010 5:30 am)

killadelphia
bucky wrote:

Low-Gain, don't be rude and offer useless, cynical input. If there's one thing I and many others here can't stand, it's people being needlessly discouraging. You've made NES mods, for one. Should people have told you to 'quit fucking around'? Be an adult and show respect for others.

i like where this is going, but there are sooo many good ideas from people here, but just not enough room on the board. i think it may need a front PCB redesign as well which has things like pitch bend, and crystals, possibly even a couple of arduinos for future modifications.

Kitsch, i am very tempted to take you up on that offer of PCB design, i know nothing about it and i have a big project that i need to build, so its going to be a bumpy learning curve!

matt's mind

NeX, i'd love to help however i'm able smile  just get in touch if you need aid in any way...

just be aware that the free version of eagle is limited to 2-layers.  and the size is limited as well, although i'm not sure to what... (never had it tell me i'm too big)

kitsch wrote:

NeX, i'd love to help however i'm able smile  just get in touch if you need aid in any way...

just be aware that the free version of eagle is limited to 2-layers.  and the size is limited as well, although i'm not sure to what... (never had it tell me i'm too big)

thanks very much! can i get your email or do you want to PM for it?

2 layers is fine because i don't think my brain can handle more! though if eagle is good maybe its worth buying? and if it can handle a PCB maybe the size of a...hmm like a gamecube? something about that big? then thats perfect!

matt's mind

well, if you are going to spend money on a pcb cad program, you can get a good price break on altium designer if you are a student. 

i would personally suggest altium.  its much smarter software, and you have more precise control over everything.

matt (aatt) kitsch-bent (ddoott) com

e-mail is best.

from the cadsoft website for the eagle free versions:

Limitations

The following limitations apply to the EAGLE Light Edition in general:

* The useable board area is limited to 100 x 80 mm (4 x 3.2 inches).
    * Only two signal layers can be used (Top and Bottom).
    * The schematic editor can only create one sheet.

Apart from these three limitiations the EAGLE Light Edition can do anything the Professional Edition can do. You can even load, view and print drawings that exceed these limits!

The Freeware version of EAGLE Light adds these limitations:

* Support is only available via email or through our forum (no fax or phone support).
    * Use is limited to non-profit applications or evaluation purposes

Carbondale, IL

I would like to throw in my support for the use of EAGLE on this project.  Since a freeware version exists it allows anyone to make modifications as they see fit, it works on all three major computing platforms, and so long as you are doing small projects, the Freeware/Light version is more than adequate for getting the job done (plus a Light license, which allows the software to be used for commercial gain, is a very reasonable $50).  Of course, I'm somewhat biased because no Mac version of Altium exists and thus I cannot try it out and give you my impression.  You've already gotten this far with EAGLE.  Switch horses now and you will have to rebuild the whole schematic/board, plus more than a few custom parts.

Milwaukee, WI

Another idea struck me, this would be neat if retrousb got wind of this.  Could be reworked to make the Retrovision much easier to produce... smile

Sweeeeeeden

Bump! Rolf, has this project progressed?

Canada

Not too much. I re-routed the cart connector and work RAM, and removed the LEDs for the arduinoboy. I also added the pads for those springy contacts from the LCD PCB. That's about it I think. One of the last things I need to do now is fix the horrible layout of the VCC line, but I've been pretty busy. I do have something else in the works with NeX though. wink

EDIT: Nobody wants updates without pictures. tongue

Last edited by Rolf (Oct 10, 2010 9:30 am)

cause  of the heart, that is now my desktop smile

Sweeeeeeden

Ground planes, ground planes! And way bigger Vcc lines.

Canada
nitro2k01 wrote:

Ground planes, ground planes! And way bigger Vcc lines.

Yeah, I'm working on the ground planes as well, I just don't keep them on the board because it's such a hassle with EAGLE. The VCC lines will be a lot bigger and I'm going to work on turning it into a loop around the whole board instead of one little line that goes all the way around but doesn't connect.