Godzilladelph

ok, let's do this: what are Chipmusic's thoughts on Chiptune Dubstep aka Chipstep aka wubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubthatssickmatewubwubwubwubwubwub

i know a couple of chiptuners make some really nice tunes, like UnicornKid and Cheapshot, but how do ya'll feel?

be brutally honest

Last edited by SKGB (Sep 29, 2010 6:36 pm)

London, UK

This conversation starts and ends with Metrodub. No further comment needed.

(yes, I do have two tunes on Metrodub)

It's just as boring as last year's chiptrance infatuation tbh.

Godzilladelph
matt.nida wrote:

This conversation starts and ends with Metrodub. No further comment needed.

(yes, I do have two tunes on Metrodub)

yes, but Metrodub is dub, not dubstep, just sayin tongue
though your tunes were awesome!

kinda agree with you 4mat, though i also feel like there are some people out there who can do it really well. And then there are others who well, can't really do it at all

Dubstep today is completely different to what it was 2 years ago, which period are you talking about?

Westfield, NJ

Once you've heard one wub, you've heard them all.

("wub" can be replaced with "chiptune," btw)

New York, New York

Within 2005-6 roughly, there were dubstep tracks that got me really excited. Not all dubstep, but it's not necessarily what was made then associated with the genre sounds like dubstep of 2010. I also assumed in 2005-6 that I had to obtain everything I could get into. Hundredfold tracks made in 2010 as apposite to then. There's no way to obtain everything like I did before. And... maybe it's not as good as 2005-6?

As for chiptune dubstep, I mean specifically dubstep not dub, I can't think of some.

Last edited by Esopus-dragon (Sep 29, 2010 7:20 pm)

Godzilladelph
Decktonic wrote:

Once you've heard one wub, you've heard them all.

("wub" can be replaced with "chiptune," btw)

eh, you kinda need to listen to the full genre before you judge

Flopps wrote:

Dubstep today is completely different to what it was 2 years ago, which period are you talking about?

all this new robotic brostep stuff (some of which i really like), not the older more chill Skream and DMZ tunes, though by all means i would love to hear some of those filtered through 8bits.

Esopus-dragon wrote:

Within 2005-6 roughly, there were dubstep tracks that got me really excited. Not all dubstep, but it's not necessarily what was made then associated with the genre sounds like dubstep of 2010. I also assumed in 2005-6 that I had to obtain everything I could get into. Hundredfold tracks made in 2010 as apposite to then. There's no way to obtain everything like I did before. And... maybe it's not as good as 2005-6?

As for chiptune dubstep, I mean specifically dubstep not dub, I can't think of some.

a couple of my tunes have had a dubsteppish bassline and drums. Cheapshot's stuff is almost purely dubstep, i would say, though you'd have to give a listen to tell.

New York City

The whole genre has come down to shit.
Anyway, I heard Cheapshot in Japan pulling some fucking nice dubstep beats. And I do mean really fucking nice and thick.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Sep 29, 2010 7:43 pm)

california

Damn, you guys are cynical. I've heard some pretty diverse dubstep n the past few years. You do have to look for it tho. It's not all wubwubwubwub. Anyhow I like that ??? Guy. Someone posted a good one here a while ago too...Anyone like ikonica? She's does some good fake bit, some not so good.

Westfield, NJ
gizmo wrote:

Damn, you guys are cynical. I've heard some pretty diverse dubstep n the past few years. You do have to look for it tho. It's not all wubwubwubwub. Anyhow I like that ??? Guy. Someone posted a good one here a while ago too...Anyone like ikonica? She's does some good fake bit, some not so good.

I really like Monster! Monster!, I actually bought the physical copy of his latest single, and I don't do that often. That being said, dubstep is not my cup of tea and I do not listen to it regularly.

It's not cynicism, just there are at least 5 "(DUBSTEP NANOLOOP LSDJ)" tracks being posted every week at the moment.  Thankfully enough people write the genre in brackets now so you can avoid them.  (I'd argue Nanoloop and LSDJ have also become genres)

babylon

dubstep is fine, so is "chipstep" , just wait a bit untill it looses some popularity and all the bandwagoners jump off, then the chastising should slow down. also there are plenty of dubstep artist that are pushing the genre forward instead of sticking to the norm, the bug comes to mind at the moment. as far as in chip i think KODEK's dub tracks have been amazing, but havent found much else im ultra excited about.

London, UK

The quality gulf between good dubstep and bad dubstep is astonishing. I love Burial and all the Hyperdub stuff, and the 2562 album was one of my faves of last year. I can't stand the Caspa/Rusko style of hyperactive LFO'd basslines and cheap samples. I guess the less dubstep has to do with dub, the less I'm interested.

My thoughts on chiptune dubstep are more or less the same, and like 4mat I feel that the use of brackets is inversely proportional to how interesting the music is.

less wub more sub

and I am gonna have to deal with alot of wub seeing how I am getting a show on sub.fm :s

Last edited by Flopps (Sep 29, 2010 9:36 pm)

New York City
matt.nida wrote:

The quality gulf between good dubstep and bad dubstep is astonishing.

This is the truth.
Sorry, I know that among all shit you can find a pin of glory, however this is not worthy.
The same happened with drum & bass to the point I decided to stop spinning the genre because the ammount of weekly (then monthly, then bimonthly, then...) good tunes I'd found was decreasing very fast.

Dubstep suffered the same process as drum & bass, only that drum & bass had like 10 years of lifespan whereas dubstep has declined to the same point in like 4 years.