New York, New York

All the good artists named: Skream, The Bug, DMZ, Burial and 2652; none are the newer artists, they came from the rise of dubstep 4 years ago. Wub was replacing all the newer interesting artists that used to come to rise. It just became boring to follow as it turned to wub.

Melbourne, Australia
akira^8GB wrote:

...happened with drum & bass to the point I decided to stop spinning the genre because the ammount of weekly (then monthly, then bimonthly, then...) good tunes I'd found was decreasing very fast.

Exactly the same reason I stopped DJing DnB. sad Couldn't get my hands on enough fresh material that was of a quality the genre deserved. It's a real shame.

I have however over the years been collecting chip DnB and when I have enough good tunes for a set you know it's going to be recorded and posted here.

Montréal

Totally agree with you Akira & Celsius. This is exactly the same reason why I stopped spinning dnb as well !!

Melbourne, Australia
Zombipnok wrote:

Totally agree with you Akira & Celsius. This is exactly the same reason why I stopped spinning dnb as well !!

I can only assume Zombipnok = Dr Von Pnok. In which case you'll be pleased to know the you still hold the title for the best chip DnB tune in my collection. Black Bloc is a serious banger.

New York City
celsius wrote:

I can only assume Zombipnok = Dr Von Pnok. In which case you'll be pleased to know the you still hold the title for the best chip DnB tune in my collection. Black Bloc is a serious banger.

That that track is cool, but I still prefer his classic, "La Robotique c'est fantastique".

Two other tunes in the top of my chip DNB list: "Truth" and "Clark. O" from Goto80. Probably the first two chipmusic dnb tunes I got glued to and they got stuck at the top of the list.

Bit Shifter's "Rough Weather" and Lo-Bat's superclassic "A room, broom, guy and a mirror" finish the top 5 for me. But don't ask me in which order, they all win big_smile

edit: FUCK, listening "A room, broom, guy and a mirror" after a while. How old is this fucking track? None of us is worthy. SO AWESOME.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Sep 30, 2010 12:04 am)

Melbourne, Australia

Oh shit, I'm in the mood now. Those are all classics. "A room, broom, guy and a mirror" god yes. Ok, I really think I need to do this mix tonight. Time to dust off that time coded vinyl and plug in my decks. W0o0o00. I reckon I'll have enough for a half hour of power.

Melbourne, Australia

Real dubstep has no wubz.

New York City
celsius wrote:

Oh shit, I'm in the mood now. Those are all classics. "A room, broom, guy and a mirror" god yes. Ok, I really think I need to do this mix tonight. Time to dust off that time coded vinyl and plug in my decks. W0o0o00. I reckon I'll have enough for a half hour of power.

Looking forward, man. I should do a mix myself, for TCTD smile

Washington DC

I'm always down with a little wubwub

A gray world of dread

I think the problem is that people tend to confuse genres and templates. I blame the house/techno scene and their genre micro-management; just because your synth stabs are in a slightly different position doesn't make it a new fucking genre.
Anyways, the same thing happened to breakcore, and a lot of other genres (Akira's spot on with D&B). Initially there's plenty of experimentation, because nobody has any idea where this all goes. Then one track gets popular, copied by everyone, and it goes downwards from there. I really liked the early Akira Kiteshi stuff (Pinball/Noglitch), but he's becoming more and more generic. What's worse is that the template is expected by the audience as well. Don't sound like vsnares? It's not breakcore! Don't sound like Aphex? It's not IDM! Don't sound like (ick) Rusko? It's not sick mate.

England

The vast majority of music is generic and dull, no matter what the genre. What is it with singling out and attacking dubstep all the time?

Last edited by Jellica (Sep 30, 2010 12:42 pm)

A gray world of dread

Because it's the latest thing. Bitching over other genres has been exhhausted tongue

New York City
Jellica wrote:

The vast majority of music is generic and dull, no matter what the genre. What is it with singling out and attacking dubstep all the time?

Ask your fellow countrymen, it's the UK who did this with dnb and then dubstep xD

CHIPTUNE

akira, cheers! although "Clark O." is not really dnb, or..?
wub'n'bass (after a while) -> http://www.archive.org/details/mtk069

btw, was recently happy to find some good drum n' bass by Current Value.
but, of course, it's not called dnb but doom-step-anti-wub-bang-schoooo.

New York City
goto80 wrote:

akira, cheers! although "Clark O." is not really dnb, or..?

Sort of like the half-step stuff that some artists used to make.
Well, to me at least xD

Godzilladelph

personally, i would love to hear a dnb chiptune mix, i've heard songs here and there (a couple Bitshifter tunes, some of Sabrepulse's later stuff, random 8bc songs i can't remember the names of), but not like a full set of em. preferably some with a sound a bit like Dillinja.

btw, if anyone can write a chiptune in a Burial-esque style, that would be fucking incredible