Godzilladelph

personally, i would love to hear a dnb chiptune mix, i've heard songs here and there (a couple Bitshifter tunes, some of Sabrepulse's later stuff, random 8bc songs i can't remember the names of), but not like a full set of em. maybe some with a sound a bit like Dillinja.

VA

There are so many wannabe dubstep tracks because wannabe dubstep is easy to create.  You can make a "passable" piece of music in any genre, and it drowns out the stuff that attempts to expand the genre.

Here is something that pisses me off about dubstep/dubstep hate:  if you make a song that has a half time beat or just part that is half time, it gets called dubstep.  "It's good but I don't like the dubstep beat".  hmmm?  My reference point for that technique is probably Pantera and a little hip hop music.

Westfield, NJ
µB wrote:

I think the problem is that people tend to confuse genres and templates. I blame the house/techno scene and their genre micro-management; just because your synth stabs are in a slightly different position doesn't make it a new fucking genre.
Anyways, the same thing happened to breakcore, and a lot of other genres (Akira's spot on with D&B). Initially there's plenty of experimentation, because nobody has any idea where this all goes. Then one track gets popular, copied by everyone, and it goes downwards from there. I really liked the early Akira Kiteshi stuff (Pinball/Noglitch), but he's becoming more and more generic. What's worse is that the template is expected by the audience as well. Don't sound like vsnares? It's not breakcore! Don't sound like Aphex? It's not IDM! Don't sound like (ick) Rusko? It's not sick mate.

It's not just that. It's that once a certain song becomes popular, there's a thousand tutorials on the web that tell you how to recreate that same sound, step by step. It's the same as "my first LSDJ." Part of the problem is that everyone is focused on making stuff that is "commercial friendly" and easy to spin, so you have to follow all these rules about measures, buildups, drops, breakdowns, etc. That's when a genre becomes a template and if you do anything that is slightly outside the box, you get weird looks and none of the record labels will want it.

Obviously you can replace "dubstep" with any other genre that's been around for a while, I see the same thing right now with house music.

Hoxton, London UK

Well let's put some tracks together..
I think with dubstep though there has to be some kind of instrument variation, rather than solely chip. I've heard lots of great chipstep tracks that are quite low-fi and pushing the hardware to the limits of dirt, but you gotta mix a little something extra in there to kick you in the balls when the drop ...erm....drops

Godzilladelph
Shriker wrote:

Well let's put some tracks together..
I think with dubstep though there has to be some kind of instrument variation, rather than solely chip. I've heard lots of great chipstep tracks that are quite low-fi and pushing the hardware to the limits of dirt, but you gotta mix a little something extra in there to kick you in the balls when the drop ...erm....drops

true true, though i like a lot of dubstep made with the gameboy because it just naturally has this very lofi gritty grimey sound to it.
but the 8bit dubstep i've heard has been either produced with something like ableton or just on a gameboy in lsdj, not much experimentation as far as hardward goes. i'd love to hear some made with c64.

it does really piss me off though how many people just make passable dubstep tracks in lsdj. it feels like some people are just trying way too hard to be popular so they just follow the fucking fads around here. just wish dubstep wasn't a fad, like idk, if people just made it seriously because they like the music instead of just writing a couple tunes because they want people to like them, then i would probably really dig it

Los Angeles

Well don't pass judgement on people... Maybe they are making dubstep because it's new to them and they are just inspired by it.

Dubstep is popular right now. This is the same with all musical trends if you've been around long enough to follow them... Fuck genres, who cares if it's trendy, good music will last longer then the genre it's labeled into. Hopefully.

We'll soon enough see sites like this and others trickle down in active members as it becomes less and less popular. Wait, did I just say chip music itself is trendy right now? Does that make it a genre? Shit! *explodes*

São Paulo, Brazil

http://www.chippanze.org/releases/cp023droidon.zip

Sweden
goto80 wrote:

akira, cheers! although "Clark O." is not really dnb, or..?
wub'n'bass (after a while) -> http://www.archive.org/details/mtk069

btw, was recently happy to find some good drum n' bass by Current Value.
but, of course, it's not called dnb but doom-step-anti-wub-bang-schoooo.

Current Value! "Excellence" has a spot reserved in  my playlist

EDIT: brostep hahaha. Anyway, I listen to dubstep in small doses, mostly on internet radio. It's so obviously formulaic that it gets boring after a few songs, but before that happens I'm having fun!

Last edited by boomlinde (Oct 1, 2010 10:42 am)

England

You should go n get properly messed up and go and see Skream or Distance DJ somewhere loud.

I am a total sucker for bass driven music though. Agg.

Last edited by Jellica (Oct 1, 2010 12:09 pm)

california
4mat wrote:

It's not cynicism, just there are at least 5 "(DUBSTEP NANOLOOP LSDJ)" tracks being posted every week at the moment.  Thankfully enough people write the genre in brackets now so you can avoid them.  (I'd argue Nanoloop and LSDJ have also become genres)

No, I know what you mean. I went to 8bc last night and there were just a bunch of dubstep tracks. And they were not the best ilk. I didn't realize it had gotten out of hand. Yeah don't know why trackers would be a genre.

VA

Is this "brostep" that kinda hip hop infused hippie dubstep, like Bassnectar?  If so, I like brostep.

Godzilladelph

fuck the purists Bassnectar is the shit. Seeing him next month i believe. WHO WANTS DRUGS lol
and i wish Skream came to the states more often

btw, isn't chipmusic inherently not cool and not trendy, simply cause it's nerdy? or is it ironically cool now?

Tacoma WA
celsius wrote:

Oh shit, I'm in the mood now. Those are all classics. "A room, broom, guy and a mirror" god yes. Ok, I really think I need to do this mix tonight. Time to dust off that time coded vinyl and plug in my decks. W0o0o00. I reckon I'll have enough for a half hour of power.

oh awesome.

can't wait.  the mix you posted a year ago or so of just dnb was great

philly
SKGB wrote:

be brutally honest

I hate to write off entire genres, but dubstep does nothing for me based on what I've heard (of both the chip and non-chip variety). Sorry dubstep fans. It's as if it is stitched together by the lesser enjoyable aspects of other genres. Worst of all worlds. I'll check out some things posted in this thread, however. People can feel free to post recommendations, I'll give them a chance...

It's possible I have somewhat the wrong impression, because I see SKGB mentioning Bit Shifter. I like his music and live performances!

Also, I cannot conceive how 'bro step' isn't a derogatory or mocking term. Perhaps I'm an asshole, but that sounds really bad to me, like something you'd say if you were making fun of it. tongue

I've heard some awesome dub, on the other hand.

Last edited by bucky (Oct 1, 2010 9:57 pm)

Westfield, NJ
SKGB wrote:

btw, isn't chipmusic inherently not cool and not trendy, simply cause it's nerdy? or is it ironically cool now?

ironically cool. shocking, actually.

VA
SKGB wrote:

fuck the purists Bassnectar is the shit. Seeing him next month i believe. WHO WANTS DRUGS lol
and i wish Skream came to the states more often

Yep, Bassnectar puts on the best shows.  I like is stuff way more than "real" dubstep.  I saw him at a couple of All Goods, and his was the only decent show at one of them, unless you are into listening to surviving members of the Grateful Dead.