Last edited by IAYD (Feb 21, 2017 6:55 pm)

astral cat

it's a zx spectrum clone. enjoy! it's better than a gameboy! big_smile

astral cat

also if you tell me about deez peripherals i'll tell you shit. hit me up!

PL

IAYD: argh. It's not so good.
2068 model is not this one http://mister_beep.republika.pl/
Only 2048 is compatible with Spectrum so can use Spectrum's editors (like I do).

To force your 2068 to real work you'd have to change its ROM chip (replace with a ZX48 ROM chip).
Then it would work. But still only in 1-bit mode.

In 2068 the AY chip, sadly, has been put on different ports, so no AY editor will work anyway.
So I'm afraid, if you're not "into the subject-matter" then the machine is rather useless to you.

Last year (or so) I bought this model myself but:
1) I am interested only in music from Z80 chip
2) I have to change ROM into the Spectrum's one (still didn't test)
3) I had to buy a "twister-board" for a case if I would like to plug-in _any_ interface from ZX Spectrum.

The machine is good for my needs but I'm afraid for yours the best would be Spectrum 128+ or +3.

Last edited by MISTER BEEP (Oct 6, 2010 1:01 pm)

Russia, Moscow

Is it so big problem to fix the ports in Sound Tracker to the Timex ones? There could be little more troubles if AY clock frequency is different, then you'll need to replace frequency table too, but nothing impossible.

New York City

You can modify the AY "wiring" to convert the thing into a Spectrum as far as I remember.
But in all, this is better to be missed. I had one sitting in my closet for years and I never used it. Ended up selling it. I have a +3 anyway

Last edited by IAYD (Feb 21, 2017 6:06 pm)

PL

IAYD: well, I'm pretty sure if Shiru says he could hack the SoundTracker, then surely he can.
It would solve the biggest problem.
As for the Spectrum Emulator - **SURELY** you should get it if you can. Sadly it's impossible to get it in my country so I have to make dangerous test with ROMs.
If I had the Emulator cart, I'd be very happy.

PS: Let me know guys, if you have the TS2068 version of SoundTracker.

Russia, Moscow

Well, if the SoundTracker runs on TS2068, just without sound, you're lucky - adaptation is a matter of few POKEs. Try this version, add POKE 55710,245:POKE 55716,246 before last RANDOMIZE USR. Clock frequency of AY in TS2068 is close enough, so it is not necessary to change the table.

PL
Shiru wrote:

Well, if the SoundTracker runs on TS2068, just without sound, you're lucky - adaptation is a matter of few POKEs. Try this version, add POKE 55710,245:POKE 55716,246 before last RANDOMIZE USR. Clock frequency of AY in TS2068 is close enough, so it is not necessary to change the table.

I tested the SoundTracker itself now, on the TS2068 and of course it doesn't work on stock machine.
However soon I will try to change ROM again and then it should work.
Will let you know of course.

Thanks a lot!

San Francisco

i know it isnt compatible with most of the normal Spectrum's softwares. it is actually not a clone but it was licensed by sinclare to timex legally to make an american version. the sound engine is also different.

Russia, Moscow

'Sound engine' is the same as for 128K, it only controlled slightly differently - 1-bit output on #FE (as in every other ZX model), and AY-3-8912 on #F5,#F6 (not compatible with anything, but nothing special).

Last edited by Shiru (Oct 9, 2010 9:31 am)

PL

Shiru is right (usually he does) which means the machine is in technical matter a ZX Spectrum 48K with AY but in software matter it isn't - because totally different ROM chip controles it (and the ZX-bus is different too).

Theoretically if you replace the ROM with a ROM chip from some broken ZX48 or ZX48+, then the Timex 2068 will work like a ZX48 with another ZX-bus.

When you buy a twister-board, you will have a ZX48 with a normal ZX-bus.

If you use the idea from Shiru (pokes for SoundTracker) you will have a fully working demo-scene (or music) standard = ZX48+AY.

I will try to check it out tomorrow (depends of condition of my friend who would have to change the ROM to test the SoundTracker).

Will let you know! smile

Last edited by MISTER BEEP (Oct 9, 2010 7:16 pm)

San Francisco

i am soooo excite bike for this.

New York City
wedanced wrote:

i am soooo excite bike for this.

*sad trombone*

Last edited by IAYD (Feb 21, 2017 6:06 pm)