Another good one is to write under a pseudonym, you avoid comparing current work against your back catalog.  If it turns out well you can always release under your proper name.

NJ

more drinking, less gameboy

Brunswick, GA USA
4mat wrote:

If it turns out well you can always release under your proper name.

Or carry on using alternate names interchangably.
Often done when Techno folks wanted to switch styles, like Model 500/Infiniti/.../Juan Atkins etc...

Wherever

Fall in love. That writer's block, will evaporate in an instant.

Westfield, NJ

Here's another idea: if you are having trouble finishing a song, why not ask a friend to collaborate with you? They can bring totally new ideas, and you get the added benefit of (probably) coming up with a better song than either of you would have done separately.

Central-ish VA
Lazerbeat wrote:

Lazerscale

Oh God this.

Godzilladelph
facundo wrote:

this.
also i would say pull out your old songs, run them through your mixer and just mix them together, mess around with them, figure what sounds you really like, and then just try to reproduce said sounds

that's just my two cents tongue

Last edited by SKGB (Oct 13, 2010 3:35 am)

Washington DC
Spöka wrote:

Fall in love. That writer's block, will evaporate in an instant.

Or have a horrible horrible break up. That usually works better for me.

Westfield, NJ
SKGB wrote:
facundo wrote:

this.
also i would say pull out your old songs, run them through your mixer and just mix them together, mess around with them, figure what sounds you really like, and then just try to reproduce said sounds

That's a great recommendation. Even if you have a couple unfinished tracks, try putting them together. Worked well enough for these guys: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alive_2007

California

If you are ever comparing yourself to anything you instantaneously have writers block. You should only create what you love. THis is merely my opinion. But(t) I have found a forgiving place with as little judgment and as much acceptance is a place to try things out. Somewhere to ask questions and make fwends. Sure you will get stuff that is less than great but you have fun and once in a while you get something you become proud of. Starting from a negative mindset leads to negative results even if it is of superior quality.  I hope more of you practice this. It would make your creative life much more enjoyable. join Battle Of The Bits and join in on some of our ohc sessions heart

D D D Detroit, not the burbs

try remembering why you make music in the first place.  Once you realize that its for your own enjoyment, writers block will eventually go away, ive always been under the impression that writers block is more of a product due to making yourself do something be it painting, jamming, writing ect ect.  It loses its fun if it feels like a job.

PDX, PDX

I usually sit down with someone and swap ideas.  Having a large group of musical friends really helps, especially when they approach music very differently than you.  And don't be afraid to steal ideas, they can sometimes morph into something that is uniquely you.

Also, new sounds.  When I can program my synths for like 5-10 minutes I can come up with something I've never heard before and that just sends a flood of ideas on how to use them.  Or I will take that sound on my synth and try to replicate it on the gameboy.  Even if I fail miserably, I sometimes some up with something really cool.  Its all about the small triggers that grow into something great.

Olympia, WA

the best thing for burn out is just to take a break.  Go on a search for inspiration, rather than creation. I find watching documentaries about music the most inspiring. Try to listen to new kinds of music you don't normally listen to. If that fails, just crack open a beer and watch Blade Runner or Transformers: The Movie (1986)

Last edited by naxat (Oct 13, 2010 9:50 pm)

Buffalo, NY
naxat wrote:

If that fails, just crack open a beer and watch Blade Runner or Transformers: The Movie (1986)

Best advice ever.

Cambridge, MA

Forcing yourself to write because you are lazy is a good thing, but overworking the creative muscles is a bad thing. Take a break, find something else to enjoy for a bit, even if just a week, and then come back to it. wink

killadelphia

take a break.

Last edited by animalstyle (Oct 14, 2010 6:20 pm)