Russia

KP3 DMG-01 LSDJ DM1050
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkM5SlVcHXE

Melbourne, Australia

I don't mean to come accross as rude, but how is this live? If a DJ puts some filters over a tune does that make it live?

celsius wrote:

I don't mean to come accross as rude, but how is this live? If a DJ puts some filters over a tune does that make it live?

Yeah, that's coming across a little on the abrasive side.. But to answer your question.. yes that could be considered "live".  Realtime manipulation of sound is "live" even if the source is prerecorded (right?)..  Is anything a DJ does "live"?  I think so.  Anyway it was an alright song/video.  I was thinking "live" as in at a venue with people and stuff.

Cambridge, MA

I liked the actual loops and transitions a lot, but to be honest, it did feel like a lot of unnecessary filtering at times. =3

Eh, I would argue that it's still live because the filtering is part of the actual tune. I mean, I personally prefer to manually change loops when playing because it adds an element of possible failure that is present when I play other instruments like guitar or piano. I like the thrill of having to think fast about what I'm switching around. But he also has to think about what he is filtering and about doing it right so what he is doing is definitely still live, just a bit tamer version of it. wink

Tacoma WA
stickman6 wrote:
celsius wrote:

Yeah, that's coming across a little on the abrasive side.. But to answer your question.. yes that could be considered "live".  Realtime manipulation of sound is "live" even if the source is prerecorded (right?)..  Is anything a DJ does "live"?  I think so.  Anyway it was an alright song/video.  I was thinking "live" as in at a venue with people and stuff.

That's a big question. 

A lot of live pa guy's don't consider a dj live filter sweeps or not.  But its hard to say.  Personally i would not call it live.  Yah its music he wrote but there is no aspect of live performace, FX don't count in my book.  Even if i used FX when djing i wouldn't call it live.  There is no manipulation of the source material, no triggering different sequences, no chance to royally screw up, which is to my eyes what makes live live. 

to the OP

nice video but look into an electrix eq killer. its one of the most amazing tool for using with any fx box.  its a 3 band eq that will also act as a fx send with a parabolic high and low.  freaking amazing.  just send the lows or highs to the fx, adds so much to fx.

Melbourne, Australia
stickman6 wrote:
celsius wrote:

Yeah, that's coming across a little on the abrasive side..

Jesus... how precious are you?!

tldr; This isn't live. Infradead is right on the money. Thanks for stopping by.

celsius wrote:
stickman6 wrote:

Yeah, that's coming across a little on the abrasive side..

Jesus... how precious are you?!

tldr; This isn't live. Infradead is right on the money. Thanks for stopping by.

lol... calm down... If indeed infra is right on the money; then you would agree that is a big question what is "live" about a lot of electronic music.  I totally get what you guys are saying... and to some degree I do agree about FX manipulation alone not completely being live.  It's possible to question how "live" triggering sequences in realtime is as well tho.  I mean how "live" is any lsdj performance?  Semantics and philosophy aside... I think it's just the best way the guy could could think to describe what was going on in the video.  Thankyouverymuch...come again. big_smile