Philadelph-ohsh**takecover!!!

After I found out about the Midibox, I wanted to start writing for FM chips and I found a Soundblaster Live soundcart with the YMF 262 chip so I started researching. It looks like the easiest way to use the chip is to get a different soundblaster card all together. So I want to find a laptop with the OPL3 in it cause it will be easier to gig with. also it would give me a PC to do programming with!

my query is this:

what laptop computers (models, brands, production date) should I be looking for that have both durability and said chip in them?

any info is greatly appreciated

thank you!

Tokyo, Japan

I have a post in this thread which gives quite alot of opl3 laptops

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/76/th … evolution/

Another thread here has some info

http://www.soundshock.se/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=350

And a trawl through the AD2 message board recommends a few more.

http://www.adlibtracker.net/

I have a Thinkpad 760-EL which has an opl3 chip and I like it alot. I would be prepared for a fair bit of hassle getting an opl3 laptop, you will probably have problems with drivers and screen resolutions and things.

A good bet is to find a likely looking laptop and look on the support page on the manufacturers website and find the manual then try and identify the chipset.

A good rule of thumb is anything made after the late 90s is almost certain not to have an opl3, Anything with a CPU over 500 mhz is also highly unlikely to have one.

you rock my world, Lazerbeat

Tokyo, Japan

Haha, you won't say that after you have spent 6 hours trying to change the resolution on some busted old laptop so you can see the whole screen for adlib. You will be "why didn't he tell me to just quit!"

But seriously there are a few opl3 fans here, Oxygenstar probably the most knowledgeable, throw up any questions and we will try and help. Also, watch o2*s tutorial on YT

I did see his tutorial. Concise and funny. In an ideal world I'd use the Opl for leads and pads and back up drums with something more analog. I looked for some of those computers that came up on your threads and they seem hard to come by. I'd be surprised if no geek has compiled a list of computer with the chip! Google hasn't revealed anything of the sort yet.

Planet Zaxxon
theDutchess wrote:

In an ideal world I'd use the Opl for leads and pads and back up drums with something more analog.

Well have fun syncing stuff with adlib tracker !!! smile  I even mix down the separate channels from adlib tracker II, and they are not in sync with each other... they fall slightly off beat by the end of the song... so there is something funky goin on with the at2 clock I guess... So thats why I play live drums over it most of the time..

You can always just line the drums up manually with it, in any multitracker I guess...

Lazerbeat wrote:

But seriously there are a few opl3 fans here, Oxygenstar probably the most knowledgeable, throw up any questions and we will try and help. Also, watch o2*s tutorial on YT

Thanks for the OPL3 shoutout !!! smile  And yes I am here to help anyone out the best I can.

Retired

Hi,

I want to learn Adlib Tracker 2! But the manual is a bit rough... I didn't find any tutorial (except the one cited above). Is there a tutorial somewhere? (something like "how to make a kick" "how to make 4OP instrument" or "how to remember all the keyboard shortcut")

Thank you!

Last edited by ??? (Oct 4, 2010 1:45 pm)

Planet Zaxxon

What up ???  (ha, awesome. Am I really what upping you firmly with 3 question marks? or just addressing your name. YOU DECIDE)

But I cant wait to hear what you will do with AT2. Kick drums, and 4OP instruments are the hardest ever to make in AT2. But as I mentioned before... just hit me up whenever, or post up on here! I am going to browse this forum A LOT more frequently now.