São Paulo, Brazil

I was finishing two songs in .mod format on my Amiga with OctaMED, but my a600 keyboard got nuts and I just didn't had the time to fix it. So I opened these mod on my old PC running DOS and Fasttracker II and they sound like shit. So I think I'll just replace the samples on it for the same samples (but wav instead of raw files) - which is a good thing: this Toshiba Libretto is so much easier to carry for live gigs than the a600. But I really don't know if all the FT2 commands would be accepted in .mod files and which commands is for .xm only... Would the best way of figuring it out just reading a Protracker manual, or things are just not that easy?

New York City

FT2 help says which commands are Protracker compatible, I think.
If not, yeah, only PT or PT-like commands are going to work. The conversion will be complicated, too. if you start using FT2 you might as well start using XM. Chances are you might do something in FT2 which is not compatible with MOD format and you will end up with a nightmare (this happened to me once, I still haven't finished one song that I started in FT2 because the conversion to MOD has been a nightmare.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
akira^8GB wrote:

FT2 help says which commands are Protracker compatible, I think.
If not, yeah, only PT or PT-like commands are going to work. The conversion will be complicated, too. if you start using FT2 you might as well start using XM. Chances are you might do something in FT2 which is not compatible with MOD format and you will end up with a nightmare (this happened to me once, I still haven't finished one song that I started in FT2 because the conversion to MOD has been a nightmare.

Yeah, if I were you I'd switch over to XM.  It'd be easiest.

However, if you really must stick with .MOD, then I recommend saving your song as a .MOD after inserting any command or envelope you think might not be compatible as it'll throw you a warning saying such.

São Paulo, Brazil

Hey guys, thanks for the reply and for the help. Actually, the only reason that kept me away from switching to .xm was that an EP I released last year was already in .xm format and I wanted to make a change. But screw it, saving these tunes to .xm did the trick. And I could even insert one more channel and putting a 16-bit subbass sample in one of the songs. smile

Oh, and I love the .xm possibilities with stereo panning.

New York City
jefftheworld wrote:

However, if you really must stick with .MOD, then I recommend saving your song as a .MOD after inserting any command or envelope you think might not be compatible as it'll throw you a warning saying such.

This is not the only problem, the biggest problem is FREQUENCY RANGE.

You can only go from C-2 to, I think, something-4 on ProTracker.
You'll end up using notes that won't work on ProTracker.

PS: Pulselooper has just left the building.
tongue