Cambridge, UK

I am looking for a simple noise gate

i was looking into the boss ns-2, has anyone used it?

there are also some nice ones by DBX

anyone have some suggestions?

any ideas would be helpful

thanks!

Los Angeles

alesis 3630 dual-channel compressor limiter and gate. new for $99, unless you want something small, then one of those boss noise gate pedals.

Tacoma WA

i second the 3630.  i heart mine

Cambridge, UK

i looked that model up made by alesis

it looks really nice

but i just need a mono noise gate actually

and size is important to me now,

considering my setup is way too large at the moment

although the second channel may be handy in something like the alesis 3630

has anyone tried the boss nr-2 or behringer nr300? ( both noise gate pedals )

i saw some videos and read specifications but i would like some user input

Matthew Joseph Payne

I used to have a couple NR-2s. They're solid pieces of gear, but it was never really anything I needed. Never tried it with synths or chipstuff. What are you trying to do with it?

Anyone have schematics for a simple, decent DIY gate?
I'm looking to build a compact 4 channel one.

Cambridge, UK
kineticturtle wrote:

I used to have a couple NR-2s. They're solid pieces of gear, but it was never really anything I needed. Never tried it with synths or chipstuff. What are you trying to do with it?

i am using it for the dmc / noise / triangle channel #1 on the NES

i have another preamp installed in the NES but i still get a fair amount of noise after compression

i just want to remove the noise before compression

my setup is hardware so post-production is not a good solution,

due to the fact that i put delay and other effects on independent channels in the mix

i ended up just buying the cheap behringer nr300 model to test out the idea

if i really need a better one i will probably go with the alesis 3630

York, Yorkshire

Being a gate, surely this is only going to remove the noise when everything is quiet?   Surely you'd be better off with some kind of noise reduction? Like a Decimator?

Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick.

Last edited by BitPop (Oct 18, 2010 3:15 pm)

York, Yorkshire

I think any of these will do a better job than a noise gate.

Decimator : http://www.isptechnologies.com/index.ph … ;Itemid=63
Boss NS-2 : http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetai … ductId=151
Behringer NR 300: http://www.behringer.co.uk/EN/Products/nr300.aspx

EDIT : OK, you did say this in your last post.....I should learn to pay more attention.   Interested to know how the NR300 works out.

Last edited by BitPop (Oct 19, 2010 11:47 am)

My conclusion is that the noise character of say a dmg, spreads too evenly across the frequency band for an "intelligent" noise reducer to be of any interest. Shaving off noise from the silent parts does however reduce the perception of a noisy signal.

Planet Zaxxon

Ive been using the DBX 266XL forever now.. I have 2. One or gigging, and one for recording. They have never let me down, sound great and do the job. But yea, they are stereo, and have sidechain inputs, so thats why it is a little more than the others. It can be used as an expander as well, along with a compressor/gate. The SB16, and NES output can be noisey as you know, and you can get it just right with this unit and not really be able to tell that a gate is in use. Very easy to mess with. I see them going for about $60 used at DADDYS , or ebay.

York, Yorkshire
tRasH cAn maN wrote:

My conclusion is that the noise character of say a dmg, spreads too evenly across the frequency band for an "intelligent" noise reducer to be of any interest. Shaving off noise from the silent parts does however reduce the perception of a noisy signal.

If only you could get Waves X-Noise as a stomp box. It works a treat even with a standard noisy-as-hell DMG heart

Unsubscribe

also: go crazy with k00 commands.

The KILL command has always been my favorite.

Michigan

hmmmm, maybe ill try the nr300's as well.

my NES is fairly noisy, but not to the point where its intolerable for me anyways, kinda gives it character in a weird way, i think that my speakers are responsible for doing a good job of filtering out a lot of junk (mackie th15A, i would recommend them for sure)

ill definitely be trying it for my guitar, that telecaster's hum is so bad sometimes.....

Cambridge, UK

here is a demo video i made of the nr300.

it's ok, not great, also i have never had a hardware noise gate so i cant make a good comparison.