Edinburgh

I know some of the forum regulars here attended Ultrachip this past August, and so would have experienced the wonder that is The Forest. It is (in their own words) "the only truly autonomous arts and cultural space in Edinburgh and [has] hosted thousands of free events, exhibitions and straight-up parties".

It's a converted church that functions as a cafe and venue, spanning two floors and staffed entirely by volunteers. All events are free to attend. This is a venue in the centre of Edinburgh that allowed us to put on a two-night chipmusic event at the peak of the Edinburgh Festival, without charging us anything. That's pretty special.

The Forest now faces closure unless they can raise the £500,000 required to purchase the building. This is an extremely tall order but hey, let's think positively.

It seems to me that this is a venue with some significance to the UK chip community (they've hosted various chipmusic events there beyond Ultrachip) so this situation was worth highlighting here. If anyone feels like doing their bit to help save The Forest, they have a Paypal donation button on their site:

http://forestcafe.tumblr.com/

Thanks.

astral cat

yikes oh noes!

Yuma, AZ

Ahh man... where is the convenient 500,000 grand prize talent show when you need one...

Unsubscribe

tweeted! good luck!

matt's mind
herr_prof wrote:

tweeted! good luck!

likewise (:

East Kilbride, Scotland

This is such a worthwhile cause. I love the Forest. I wish I lived in Edinburgh so I could visit it more often. They've given me so much support as an artist. Please help!

England

hopefully they'll put a starbucks/nero/costa there.

err.... no sorry its very sad, it was an awsome venue, it seems to be rather rare in the UK to find venues that will bother supporting chipmusic.

were they just leasing the building until the owner/developer figured out what they wanted to do with the space?