Russia

At it's heart, Control Me is an honest expression of Jay Tholen's love for the Gospel. Most of the compositions were conceived as humble little hymn-like ukulele tunes. Following the tradition of unnecessary embellishment; Jay layered the songs beyond recognition until they became what they are now: schizophrenic heaps of sound. Everything from Shoegaze to Prog Rock to Schmaltzy 50's Pop is emulated beneath layers of manipulated waveforms and vinyl samples.

http://ubiktune.org/releases/ubi018/

Minneapolis

Excellent. Very much excellent.

Geneva, NY

One track in and I'm feeling much heart

Matthew Joseph Payne

holy blap man

wow

Florida

Thanks guys. :3

Abandoned on Fire

I only got to hear the first couple tracks on the way in this morning but I can tell this is going to take some serious listening to digest.  The sound combinations alone have me thoroughly hooked!  big_smile

Geneva, NY

NEEDS MORE CHATTER UP IN HERE!

Florida
bleo wrote:

NEEDS MORE CHATTER UP IN HERE!

Abandoned on Fire

There's A LOT to absorb in this album.  smile  After about 1 and 1/3 listens I can already tell you what I admire most about it:

This album sweats CONFIDENCE out of every pore.  The composition and sound design/choice always feel like they were placed "just exactly like this" with a perfectly clear result in mind, even during the most psychedelic "Flaming Lips" moments.  And everybody knows there's nothing more attractive than confidence.

This is one that I'll be diving into with some headphones and a pack of Marlboro's as soon as possible... haven't even begun to really analyze the lyrics.  Speaking of which, "fire and brimstone" never sounded so good.  smile

Florida

Ha. I appreciate that. Much attention was given to the specific placement of sound. And all the leitmotifs everywhere and stuff. Thank you so much for attentively listening... it really does mean a lot.

Hobart, Australia

This is... really good! Well done. Really dense, but never overbearingly so.

Not too hot on the art, though I suppose it is better than a lot of other releases. It's mostly just the written title that I don't like.

Florida
Mega Washington wrote:

This is... really good! Well done. Really dense, but never overbearingly so.

Not too hot on the art, though I suppose it is better than a lot of other releases. It's mostly just the written title that I don't like.

Ahh. I'm kind of sick of the art myself... I drew me funny. And I kind of envision a Roger Dean-ish landscape for this one. Oh well. But yeah, thanks for the compliment!

Florida

Bumpity bump. Got some sweet reviews:

http://www.originalsoundversion.com/get … me-review/

"Much of the chiptunes work is … not quite atonal, but certainly lacking traditional melodic style. Yes, there are songs that fit the scheme well (again I turn to “Be Alright,�  as well as “Curtains� ). But avant garde is an understatement. This is wacky usage of chiptunes, no question. But it sticks with you. When I first got wind of this album, I listened to it six times in a row. I dug it. My wife, who generally loathes chiptunes, also dug it. There’s something special going on here."

http://freemusicarchive.org/member/herr … of_Control

"The songs are lusciously produced and peppered with eclectic instrumentation, and the gospels therein are of a decidedly personal and unique expression."

Ohhh yeahhh. Thanks fellas.

Bronx, NY

Holy FUCK , this is superb.

Florida

Thanks Mr. Pantz. One last buuump.