Melbtown, Lolstralia

The long-awaited IDM chipmusic-on-chip album 'Today' by Adelaide artist Freezedream is released as a physical 16-bit cartridge for the Sega Megadrive/Genesis video game console. The sound is generated at playtime by the Yamaha YM2612 FM synthesizer chip that is built into the console. The concept is to do away with the conventional audio recording which is the standard format for practically all music now released.

Breathing new life into this obsolete Sega console in 2010, 'Today' aims to reinvigorate interest in old hardware and the idea of listening to music where the sound is generated each time you listen.

Pocket Music is celebrating this milestone in Australian chipmusic by playing back the entire album from the console at the Mana Bar on Thursday the 2nd of December followed by live performances by Dot.AY, VGX and DJ Lame .

A few Cartridges will be available for purchase on the night big_smile

Facebook Event
Pocket Music
GameBoy Australia

Last edited by Dot.AY (Nov 24, 2010 12:10 am)

Brooklyn NY US

N I C E .

Unsubscribe

I played this at a Handmade Music night in NYC last month and everyone really liked it.. grab it it you havent yet!

New York, New York

I put up these two videos when I got this album in the post. I am thankful for the chance to hear how this turned out, and it's really, really cool how YM2612 brings an effect on playthroughs.

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

Yes boy. This is gold.

Melbtown, Lolstralia

UPDATE:

1. Potato Masta literally has p***** *******r and so won't be playing the event

2. This event will coincide with the MP3 release of Freezedream's "Today", full details on where to get that forthcoming but it will be available from the 2nd of December (date of this show). TODAY MP3 LAUNCH PARTY!!!!

edit: because Bit Shifter made me feel bad for over sharing

Last edited by Dot.AY (Nov 23, 2010 6:06 am)

Brooklyn NY US

Jesus! Hooray for Freezedream, but ITT we learn never to tell Alex any personal medical details.

Brisbane, AUS

May want to edit the Gameboy Australia blog post, Alex.

Also, how much for the carts on the night? Might come and pick one up if I can get there... but I don't know if I'll be able to sad

Brisbane, Australia

Hey any Brisbane people see the mx newspaper today? Apparently there's a chip music thing on the front page, I haven't been able to pick it up though ... Didn't we do the photo shoot for that a few months ago? Lol

Edit: sorry to hear about potato masta sad

Edit edit: seen it now lol, we're front page news! Unfortunate juxtaposition of the headline though .... Hehe

Last edited by vgx (Nov 30, 2010 3:41 pm)

Melbtown, Lolstralia

Will do a scan of it and pick up a few copies tongue ... yeah it is the photo of you and hunz .. they decided to be lazy and use it instead of doing a new photo...

LOL .. trash paper .. but it is FRONT PAGE OHHHHHHH!!!!!

there is some brief mentions in Rave this week and a thing in scene last week .. I will upload all the press to GBA / Pocket Music Tumblr tonight

Melbtown, Lolstralia

http://gameboyaustralia.com/2010/12/poc … press.html

big_smile

Brisbane, Australia

Woot!

Also I don't know if anyone's seen my recent facebook posts but anyway I was following this guide to mod my mega drive http://www-unix.ecs.umass.edu/~dhowland/mod/#audio and as it happens the motherboard layout is different on the PAL version of the console, so i've put off modding it for now. If someone wants to get in touch with me who has done it before I can get it done before the show but otherwise it's not a big deal, mine has a headphone output so we can just use that I guess?!

Adelaide, Australia

Yay!

@vgx: You obviously have an MD1 so yeah, just use the headphone out. I think it's stereo.

Brisbane, Australia

I tested it and yeah it works and it's stereo smile Although it looks like Alex has one now so perhaps we won't need mine.