california

So, i got my EMS cart a little over 1 month ago. A few days ago, my cart started going directly to Page 2. The only way to get it to Page 1  is to power it off for a long time it seems. Or magic i'm not sure. I tested the battery and it seems to have ~2.4 volts. I dunno what wrong, hope it's not a capacitor. Any help would be appreciated. thx.

Sweeeeeeden

1) Ask your reseller to return it to EMS. (Apparently they're responsive to that kind of problem.)
2) "Bypass" the problem by putting LSDj in both the banks. I still have no clue how to actually do this. Either there's an option in the transferring program, or you can make a super-big LSDj image that spans into that second bank, eg:

Windows:
copy /b lsdj.gb + lsdj.gb + lsdj.gb + lsdj.gb + lsdj.gb lsdj-big.gb

UNIX:
cat lsdj.gb lsdj.gb lsdj.gb lsdj.gb lsdj.gb > lsdj-big.gb
SLC, UT

That's won't work. If you want to put LSDJ on both pages, just use the software. From my experience, the two pages act separately, it won't just spill over to the next one.

My cart was doing that, and then one day it just stopped. I have no clue what happened. So you may have hope yet.

california

That's unfortuante.. I'm sure nonfinite will be cool about it tho. Would the different roms corrupt each others saves?

Sweeeeeeden

Yeah. They share the same save space.

SLC, UT

My experience is that the lsdj saves are persistent. Say I have pokemon in page two and I save, it will be able to load the save unless I go into LSDJ and load a song. Then my pokemon save gets erased, but my LSDJ songs never get erased. I guess LSDJ saves the data in some special way? Long story short, my LSDJ saves are fine but any other saves are not.

california
stargazer wrote:

That's won't work. If you want to put LSDJ on both pages, just use the software. From my experience, the two pages act separately, it won't just spill over to the next one.

My cart was doing that, and then one day it just stopped. I have no clue what happened. So you may have hope yet.

Yah the program will do that i'm sure. Iguess it should work fine on either page.

california
stargazer wrote:

My experience is that the lsdj saves are persistent. Say I have pokemon in page two and I save, it will be able to load the save unless I go into LSDJ and load a song. Then my pokemon save gets erased, but my LSDJ songs never get erased. I guess LSDJ saves the data in some special way? Long story short, my LSDJ saves are fine but any other saves are not.

I think in the past i've made some weird remmixes by saving links awkening on page 2. It punched some holes in my patterns. I just play gameboy roms on my iphone now. It's not a bad idea to explore data corruption for composition tho. tongue

Sweeeeeeden
stargazer wrote:

The cartridge has 128 kB of RAM while most games only use 32 kB for save data. (That's what cartridges used to have.)
Actually this is sort of true for LSDj as well. It uses the lower 32 kB for for the currently open song, and the remaining 96 kB for the file system. Games will typically only "know" about the lower 32 kB and won't overwrite anything in the upper area. That's why you can still load files.

matt's mind

a couple things to think about that might help:

1) DO NOT flash the program while its inside the gameboy.  especially with the gameboy turned on...  always have the cartridge out whenever you plug in the USB cable

2) pull the cartridge out of the gameboy and wait, then try to get back to menu 1.  taking it out like his seems to help the cap discharge for some reason, making return to menu 1 quicker...

hope that helps!

but, yes, contact the person you bought it from.  they should be able to help out, or at least troubleshoot it more in-depth with you.  depending on their return policy and whatnot, things can be done..

SLC, UT

Yeah, my songs sound crazy when I do that......probably better than they did in the first place. wink That's why I ordered one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Mega-Memory-Game-Boy-Color-Pocket/dp/B000MQ5X4A
For 9.99, that's hard to beat. Although that label looks like crap, I'll tear mine off. One thing to note too is that while this DOES work on a DMG, there is no slot for the power switch latch thing to go into so you either have to cut it off or cut into the card. I plan on doing the latter.

Also, I think that sellers should tell people that these carts can be problematic. Nonfinite implies it I guess, but honestly a 32mb usb cart is still better than most of the other options in my opinion. Again, someone should make an ultimate EMS 64mb cart answer thread.

Edit: Same product, same seller, cheaper price: http://www.amazon.com/Memory-Gameboy-Original-Color-Game-Boy/dp/B00002R108/ref=pd_cp_vg_1

Last edited by stargazer (Nov 20, 2010 4:31 pm)