Minneapolis

So, as many people are already aware, some people of questionable integrity have leaked the OST for Tron Legacy onto the internet. Even if you have not downloaded or listened to this music, you can get a good dose from things like the trailers, their website, and eventually the movie. The movie will hit theatres on December 17th. Everyone who has listened to the sound track knows it's filled with delicious low-fi and low-bit sounds.

However, as everyone knows, movie scores are always made up to appeal as widely as possible. Daft Punk has done a good job of making a movie score with low-fi sounds, but it sounds like a typically epic movie score. IE, said delicious electronic noises are not used nearly enough, giving way to Zimmer-esque orchestral stuff all the time. Also, movie scores are always made up of pieces far too short to be used for real listening, as they are meant to go with action. That said, we need some length to these remixes as well.

I therefore propose a compo. Make Tron Legacy chiptune remixes, or new songs made in that style as a tribute. You must only submit new or unreleased works, and they must be in either a module format or a high-bitrate MP3, at least 320 kbps. You must also agree to release your works under a creative commons licence. Also, I and possibly some others will be curating the tracks if we get alot of them, so tracks which do not fit our admittedly arbitrary quality ideals may be excluded.

Of course, usual chiptune compo rules will apply. Please make this chiptune in sound. You may use any real chiptune hardware, in any combination. You may also "fakebit." Sorry, but just using a Casio or LGPT and calling it chiptune will not suffice this time around. You must have a chip sound, and not merely use chip hardware/software. This is where the arbitrary curating will come in. smile It's OK, you know what to do.

I propose as an initial due date January 17th at midnight, one month from the release of the movie, which should give everyone ample time to get working even if they don't hear the soundtrack before the movie comes out. I will update this front post with an email address to which you can submit your songs sometime soon.

Lastly, in the way of disclaimer, keep in mind that this compo is for having fun and is entirely a fan tribute and is not affiliated or endorsed by Disney or anything of that sort. And all the stuff that's copyrighted or owned by Disney and/or Daft Punk belongs to them and CM.O is not affiliated in case Disney decides to get their undies in a bundle over some free publicity and a fun time. Since this is a fan tribute it should fall under fair use laws, I'm not responsible if you break those laws by, for example, stealing samples from the OST etc.

So, who's interested in participating? I'll also need an artist who'd like to help make art. Also I need ideas for names for this compo, just in case some lawyers get pissed and won't let us put the Tron Legacy name on it. big_smile

EDIT: woop! Movie comes out Friday! Also I got an email for y'all to send songs/gfx to: arf.at.svj (att) gmail.com

Last edited by arfink (Dec 14, 2010 7:03 pm)

Philly, PA, USA

I'll do art! though it could have to wait a bit... so if someone else can do it, let them

Minneapolis

Well, we have more than a month. I'll accept submissions from whoever wants to help. Also, I suspect that you're more available than Enso.

Soundtrack is released (officially) on December 7th.  You can very likely expect some Nanoloop dirges from me.

The Hollow Earth

Hmm.... sounds interesting. I may have to participate in this, if I can get something together in time. In the mean time, who wants to hear a couple of experimental tracks I made using samples from the old Tron and Disc of Tron arcade games?

http://chipmusic.org/subterrestrial/mus … grid-alive

http://chipmusic.org/subterrestrial/mus … -game-grid

Hoxton, London UK

Excellent. Very excited

Brazil - Japan

MAY I COME IN???
thats my last model sticker = D http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak- … 7229_n.jpg

hahahaha im so excited!

Whitley Bay, England

Sounds like it'd be fun, though I won't commit until I can properly hear the full soundtrack.
A couple questions:
Does it have to be in the same style, or can it be the tracks remixed into a different style?
And I know you say not just chip hard/software like a Casio or LGPT, but would you be against me using, for example, a VL-Tone on top of LSDJ?

Minneapolis

As long as it's recognizably chip, it's fine. So VL-Tone with LSDJ = OK. As for same style/whatever, this is a remix/tribute compo, so do what you want as long as it's chip and Tron-like. big_smile

Whitley Bay, England

Sweet smile

He doesn't mean just outright no LGPT.  It was more a comment about people using sample trackers with no chip samples or anything of that sort.

Minneapolis

Exactly, thanks beware.

Whitley Bay, England

Yes I know that, but I was simply checking if he'd be against the use of a Casio keyboard, for say, the lead part of a song.
No harm in just checking.

Brazil - Japan

actually, i don't  like the NEW Tron soundtrack!
i would like to make a remix for a song from the first Tron movie: "grid escape theme"
maybe on the extra track session? smile
anyway, ill be sharing this with the TRON MANIACS

São Paulo, Brazil

Well, I understand that'd be no problem using songs from the first OST, right? Wendy Carlos stuff are so awesome.

Sweden

This stuff is made for FM! Count me in, please. My idea is to take the orchestral stuff from the new movie and down-tone it to Wendy Carlos style using FM.

Last edited by boomlinde (Nov 27, 2010 11:34 am)