california

So I have a question for anyone who know a lot about c64s. Is it possible for the RCA video to not work, but the video from the DIN jack would work? I ask because I have a commodore that I connected a shitty RF adapter to(through the RCA), and video stopped coming the the RCA altogether. Huge bummer. Anyway, if you know anything about it, I don't know what to do with it.

UK

Last edited by firebrandboy (Nov 22, 2010 9:54 am)

Brunswick, GA USA
firebrandboy wrote:

I think the word you're looking for is "yes."

There are many reasons why video would go out on a home computer, however.

CHIPTUNE

I'm not sure I understand you. You want to have two composite video out signals? And both the outputs work separately?

The RCA-output sends a TV-signal (RF) so you just need a particular cable to plug it into the antenna input on your TV. Afaik, the antenna and composite signal always work together.

Sweeeeeeden

GOAT80: I think his point is whether the composite signal coming out of the DIN jack could work even though the RCA (RF) doesn't.

The answer is yes it could, but there's no way to know for sure whether without further investigation. The composite signal could also be broken before it even enters the RF modulator, in which case the DIN signal won't work.

However, I personally think the problem is the RF adapter is your problem. In the 80s there were different ways of doing RF modulation. One way was to modulate the signal externally. If you've gotten ahold of that kind of adapter, it won't work with C64 as it already has an internal RF modulator.

Then there were Nintedo's RF adapters which, if I've understood the matter correctly, modulated the signal internally in the control deck, (Yes! That's what they used to call the NES!) but had a filter inside the box so that the signal wouldn't interfere with other people in the same house connected to the same antenna. Those are great, but they're not tuned to same frequency as the C64 is using, so they will effectively filter out the C64's RF signal.

Yet others just had a switch that you had to had to set to "TV" or "game". To prevent that kind of interference.

I suggest finding a regular antenna cable and trying to shrink the shielding on the right side of the cable, so the plug fits snugly into the RF jack. That should work.

california

nitro2k01: Do you mean a coaxial cable?

The RF adapter I used is the one that used to come with the commodore, if you know which one i mean. I believe that I used to be able to run an RCA cable from the RCA jack on the commodore to the composite video in on the television. Maybe I'm mistaken. It was a long time ago. I've ordered one of those DIN a/v cables so I'll be able to test that out.

The reason that I think I may have broke something, is that I soldered the coaxial part of the "RF adapter" back together. After I tried using it, I couldn't get any video, when I had found a way before. Oops. I was sad. That's why I was asking if it was possible that the RF portion of the commodore could maybe be malfunctioning, but the composite could work. I would hate to leave this beautiful commodore unused.

Last edited by gizmo (Nov 22, 2010 6:59 pm)

brighton, uk
gizmo wrote:

I believe that I used to be able to run an RCA cable from the RCA jack on the commodore to the composite video in on the television. Maybe I'm mistaken. It was a long time ago. I've ordered one of those DIN a/v cables so I'll be able to test that out.

The reason that I think I may have broke something, is that I soldered the coaxial part of the "RF adapter" back together. After I tried using it, I couldn't get any video, when I had found a way before. Oops. I was sad. That's why I was asking if it was possible that the RF portion of the commodore could maybe be malfunctioning, but the composite could work. I would hate to leave this beautiful commodore unused.

The composite will work, and the RCA cable from the RCA jack to the composite video would also work.

nitro2k01 wrote:

GOAT80: I think his point is whether the composite signal coming out of the DIN jack could work even though the RCA (RF) doesn't.

It should do, I have a few units where I have removed the RF enclosure and put it somewhere else on the board. The RCA doesn't work anymore, but the gubbinz still have to be there (cant be bothered to figure out what I'd have to replace) Alpha does the same thing in his mod.