Czech republic

Hi!
I'm going to have some custom cartridges done for my recently purchased C64g and I wonder what music programs should I burn?
I am mainly looking for synth / keyboard / live tweaking kind of stuff since I won't have any possible way of midi sync. But every suggestion/experience is good. I am asking because emulation is not always good reference and i don't even know many music prgs for C64...
I am buying the piano overlay so probably something that would work with it.
Thanks!

edit: forgot to say: yes, I know about Cynthcart and I am gonna have it. I am just looking for some more.

edit2: Well, 4mat just pointed out on my similar thread on 8bc that only cartridge-ready programs could be written to cartridges. I haven't heard of any C64 cartridge-based music software other then cynthcart so I'm afraid this might be the end of discussion sad

Or am I wrong?

Last edited by ashimoke (Nov 29, 2010 10:14 pm)

PARIS

Not sure about it but I think that PRG on roms for 64 are very limited in size ((like on Atari 8 Bit) and must be 1 part. Not sure about the max size thoough but it could be something like 8 or 16K (I remember that the Cart games were much simpler than their Floppy versions ).

You're planning to use something like http://skoe.de/easyflash/??

If you need someone to burn some EPROM's and/or assemble a cart then send me a PM!

Czech republic
goonzy wrote:

Not sure about it but I think that PRG on roms for 64 are very limited in size ((like on Atari 8 Bit) and must be 1 part. Not sure about the max size thoough but it could be something like 8 or 16K (I remember that the Cart games were much simpler than their Floppy versions ).

That's exactly the problem. Afaik most C64 game cartridges were 8 or 16K...

goonzy wrote:

You're planning to use something like http://skoe.de/easyflash/??

Nope, I'm going to burn my own EPROMS and solder them on custom cartridge PCBs.

Flopps wrote:

If you need someone to burn some EPROM's and/or assemble a cart then send me a PM!

Thank you for your offer, I actually have already sorted out this but if I ever need some EPROM help again I'l contact you.

Sweden

If you find a bunch of PRG programs and they all amount to less than 8k, send them to me an I'll try to whip up a multicart for you. It's not trivial but it can be done, and I'd like to give it a try!

EDIT: Could probably do 16k, too!

Last edited by boomlinde (Jan 25, 2011 1:11 am)

San Francisco

So I am Assuming getting A cart with cybertracker is not likely?

New York City
wedanced wrote:

So I am Assuming getting A cart with cybertracker is not likely?

I don't think so, it would still read preferences from disk. And it's bigger than 16KB.
In any case, Cybertracker is shit, I would advise against using it, it's a waste of time. Having all envelopes and shit displayed visually IS nice and helpful for n00bs, but the software has an engine that remains pretty damn useless nonetheless. It's better if you just do it the hard way and jump straight into a more advanced tracker.

You could also try Johnplayer or Ninjatracker to begin with.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jan 25, 2011 1:04 pm)

New York City

By the way, the EasyFlash page mentions the Ocean cartridges as carts that exceed the 16K limit. How did these work and what is the limit? They also have a version of The Last Ninja patched for EasyFlash that weighs 512KB. This could lead to nice multitracker cartridges i'd be interested in!

Sweden

John Player would easily fit a 16k cartridge, but you'd still need a disk drive to save, I think. Could be nice to boot up straight into a tracker, though smile

I don't know exactly how Ocean cartridges work, but they probably use some mapper circuitry so that you can swap out a bank of ROM for another by using a register on the cart. If anyone can find any details of how exactly they work, I might look into it, but building a custom Ocean cart will be harder since you'd have to recreate whatever mapper circuit it uses.

For EasyFlash, there's already Draco Cart Maker! smile

San Francisco
akira^8GB wrote:

Cybertracker is shit, I would advise against using it, it's a waste of time.
You could also try Johnplayer or Ninjatracker to begin with.

will keep in mind! thanx! also what do you use?

Last edited by wedanced (Jan 26, 2011 3:08 pm)