San Antonio, Texas

My 3 year old keyboard amp is dying and I'm in serious need of a solution but I don't know which would be the better choice. Amps or a set studio monitors.

My amp has rarely left my house and has remained stationary unless I needed to clean around there, etc. So I was wondering what you guys would suggest.

hardcore, Australia

What kind of amp is it?
Do you play with other people?
When you play live,is it through the amp or just DI'd

An amp has the advantage of usually a 3 band EQ while the monitors will be clean.

San Antonio, Texas

It's an Alesis Sumo 150 keyboard amp that I used to use back in my synth-playing days.

Connection-wise, I just plugged the main outs from my mixer to to Left and Right in the amp.

I mainly use the amp to write music so I know how it sounds at high volume, but when I did jam with others I would just plug into the back; no mixer.

Sweeeeeeden

Monitors are designed to sound clean. An amp is designed to sound loud. Have your pick.

Tacoma WA

that's kind of an apples and oranges kind of thing.

what do you plan on doing with them?

San Antonio, Texas

I plan on just having 'them' sit at home and providing me the sense of what my music sounds live.

My amp is a production tool, not a live performance tool.

IL, US

if its not for live performance, get some nice monitors... i heart my mackie mr5's

Godzilladelph
e.s.c. wrote:

if its not for live performance, get some nice monitors... i heart my mackie mr5's

San Antonio, Texas

studio monitors it is then. One suggestion down...anyone know any other good ones?

Los Angeles

you have to specify a budget.

Brisbane, Australia

Your best bet really is to go to a musical equipment store and listen to some in real life so you can make a judgement for yourself about the sound quality. Make up a CD with a variety of music, not just chip tunes or electronic music, then play that on a bunch of different speakers. If you just buy a set online or something based on a recommendation without having listened to them you have no way of knowing if you'll actually like them.

Also consider the size of the room the speakers will be in when you're buying them, if you'll be using them in a small room like your bed room you'll want smaller speakers, if they're too big the bass will just overpower everything when you turn them up to a reasonable level.

I will say, however, that Behringer make some very colored monitors, in other words the bass and treble are hyped to make them sound good, so beware if you're considering getting them.

San Antonio, Texas

My budget is about $300 considering I'm pretty broke at this point.

But vgx has some very good advice.

New York City

Which is better, pears or apples?

San Antonio, Texas
akira^8GB wrote:

apples, obviously.

San Antonio, Texas
vgx wrote:

Make up a CD with a variety of music, not just chip tunes or electronic music, then play that on a bunch of different speakers.

I don't if the music stores here would like this, but I can sure try.

Godzilladelph
akira^8GB wrote:

potatoes