Minneapolis

Yes, this is real. No, I didn't make it. Yes I want one. Yes, you should watch the videos.

http://www.rival-corp.com/2010/12/02/ga … adapter-2/

And by "it's real" I mean it's straight from the GBP to the adapter, no Super Gameboy was used. smile

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

awesome. wink

That's an expensive FPGA developing board!
Now the ultimate trick... fit it all onto a pcb small enough to replace the screen on the gameboy and toss a VGA output on it. haha

Last edited by low-gain (Dec 13, 2010 2:43 am)

That is so dope.  Do want.

Minneapolis
low-gain wrote:

awesome. wink

That's an expensive FPGA developing board!
Now the ultimate trick... fit it all onto a pcb small enough to replace the screen on the gameboy and toss a VGA output on it. haha

Sure, but with just the FPGA it'd probably get a step closer to affordable.

United Kingdom

Wow my mind is blown, since I thought VGA-out on a Gameboy looked so far away in the future that it may not exist yikes

Czech republic
ViDAR wrote:

Yea you gave me more motive to really make a PCB for this now. I looked into parts and something like this would be maybe $20.

Yes yes yes I wish this would happen

Matthew Joseph Payne

wow man

yes please

killadelphia

what's an FGPA dev board?  what's it do in this project?  i see there's an arduino there too.  could someone explain the dev chain for this in lamen's terms?

Minneapolis

I *think* the arduino is being used for just some voltage conversion and to power up the GBP. Probably because he had it laying around. The FPGA is doing all the heavy lifting. An FPGA is a Field Programmable Gate Array. In other words, a chip that can be programmed to have certain logic gates inside. It's like an EPROM or Flash chip, only instead of programming data into it you're actually setting up logic gates to make it into, say, a processor. In the case of this device, the FPGA is being programmed to act as a GB to VGA converter.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

FPGA = WIN!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Yeah, I could see the being a real possibility in the future.  I really don't think it would be too expensive, because all it would need is the voltage divider, the FPGA and whatever chip he's using for he buffer.  There really isn't all that much else needed.  It's also nice that you can do it without removing or adversely affecting the game boy's screen.  So, in theory, you could add a video out socket to your game boy that would go to the VGA converter device.

Holy crap. Awesome.