Tokyo, Japan

This might be slightly off topic but I thought it was awesome

I was walking through town today and there is this absolutely kick ass area filled with xmas decorations made almost entirely out of 500 ml plastic bottles.

Its a bit difficult to see what is going on so I will try and explain.

The big wall is made of a grid of square plastic bottles, about 70 ish by 60 ish. Each bottle has an LED mounted where the lid would be. The neck of the bottle is then attached to the wall. repeat this about 4000 times to make the grid you see in the picture. We are looking at the bottom end of the bottles.

The array is attached to a PC running some nifty bit of code, which outputs input of a webcam directly to the "LED wall"

The camera is positioned at a slightly odd angle quite low to the ground so what you can see on the wall is me taking a photo being viewed from about 2 feet of the ground and 1 foot in front of me looking up about a 75 degree angle.

I don't really know how useful this is but if someone is looking to make a semi permanent display for visuals on a budget and has a crap ton of LEDs and plastic bottles and a handy coder it might be a fun project!

Last edited by Lazerbeat (Dec 25, 2010 3:34 am)

wow that is hella cool, do you have more pics?