rochester, ny

version 2 of my nintendo chords program!

updates -

* you’re now able to cycle through different duty cycles, changing the tone of the square wave channels.
        * you can toggle between chord mode and ARP MODE, which plays fast arpeggios of the chords
        * whatever button you’re hearing will lit up in RED and the buttons you’re pressing but not hearing will light up in LIGHT BLUE.
        * the program now remembers what the last button you pressed was. for example, let’s say you press A, then B, then Up. if you were to release UP, then you would hear the chord that corresponds with B. when you release B, A’s chord will ring out.

notes -

* this program is in the key of C and instead of displaying the chords in the standard way, with two separate letters (i.e. Em, Am), i only had room to show one letter. so, all you see are the root notes of the chords. for your reference, the chords of this program are C major, D minor, E minor, F major, G major, and A minor.
        * if you’re using this on an emulator, it will be possible to press UP and DOWN, or LEFT and RIGHT simultaneously. this is not possible on an actual NES controller. so if you’re using an emulator, you’ll notice that when you hold one of these buttons down and then press it’s opposite, it won’t really toggle back and forth correctly. there’s no way to correct this because it’s just how nintendos work. however, if you’re running this on a real nintendo, this is obviously not an issue.

i’m still using a character set from one of NO CARRIER’s tutorials but the next version of this program will have all new graphics.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?a483r2v4cmpn993

http://nickmaynard.tumblr.com/post/2614 … am-updates

p.s. - just posted about "nintendo drums" - http://chipmusic.org/forums/post/50854/#p50854

download links for all programs i've posted in this thread -

nintendo chords one - http://www.box.net/shared/tp27mbz2j1

nintendo chords two - http://www.box.net/shared/hjy9g1uht0

nintendo drums beta - http://www.box.net/shared/hr5op3yzdg

Last edited by nickmaynard (Jan 12, 2011 8:12 am)

Philly, PA, USA

looks cool, i think it would be cool, if you could make a little side program to put your own chords in, and maybe have a way to switch between banks of chords or something

rochester, ny
pixls wrote:

looks cool, i think it would be cool, if you could make a little side program to put your own chords in, and maybe have a way to switch between banks of chords or something

yeah, i'm definitely thinking about doing something like that eventually. i was thinking you could go around and highlight a button, then scroll through each note (C, C#, D, D#, etc) then specify what type of chord you want (major, minor, sus2, sus4, 7, etc). and then the program would save these choices to a preset. then a different button combination would allow you to scroll through a certain number of presets.

that being said, i have no idea how to do any of this yet. but i'm learning!

WOW MAN!

Heh, well done Nick. Nice to see you persevered smile  If you want any help/tips just shout.

Hoxton, London UK
nickmaynard wrote:
pixls wrote:

yeah, i'm definitely thinking about doing something like that eventually. i was thinking you could go around and highlight a button, then scroll through each note (C, C#, D, D#, etc) then specify what type of chord you want (major, minor, sus2, sus4, 7, etc). and then the program would save these choices to a preset. then a different button combination would allow you to scroll through a certain number of presets.

that being said, i have no idea how to do any of this yet. but i'm learning!

Also, this would be a neat way of learning chords

rochester, ny
neilbaldwin wrote:

Heh, well done Nick. Nice to see you persevered smile  If you want any help/tips just shout.

thanks a lot! i'm still wrestling with a lot of the basic concepts but i'm finally making some progress. i'll let you know if i've got any questions!

Geneva, NY
pixls wrote:

Sweet! This is kinda like that Jam Sessions program for DS!  Suggestion: that program used the shoulder buttons to temporarily switch chord pallets, and I think you'd be able to do the same using A+B.  For example: if neither is depressed, right plays an F major, but if you hit B, it'll switch to minor.  And then maybe you could use A for something like a transpose up or down an octave or whatever...

Nice start, tho!

Chicago IL

kind of reminds me of step girl

rochester, ny
Saskrotch wrote:

kind of reminds me of step girl

i've never used stepgirl. but muddygb was kind of an inspiration.

rochester, ny

i just made it so that when you press A or B it changes the duty cycle of the square wave channels. holding down neither will result in a 12.5% duty cycle, holding just the A button gives you 25%, holding just B gives you 50%, and holding both buttons at the same time gives you 75%.

kind of a neat trick but it sounds really cool when you use an advantage controller with it, and turn the turbo mode on with both buttons, then adjust the turbo rate of both. duty cycle madness.

Geneva, NY
nickmaynard wrote:

i just made it so that when you press A or B it changes the duty cycle of the square wave channels. holding down neither will result in a 12.5% duty cycle, holding just the A button gives you 25%, holding just B gives you 50%, and holding both buttons at the same time gives you 75%.

kind of a neat trick but it sounds really cool when you use an advantage controller with it, and turn the turbo mode on with both buttons, then adjust the turbo rate of both. duty cycle madness.

HOTTTTT!!!!!!!

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

This looks cool.

An NTSC/PAL tuning option could be a good idea?

USA

Thanks Nick!

rochester, ny

version two posted!

USA

Thanks again!!

Very nice.

Maybe in the next version you can add something to allow you to edit the arp speed? That might be a little hard to add in, though. I have no idea.