cph

hej chippers,
check out my open source chippy hardware project: CHEAP, FAT and OPEN (CFO)

CHEAP, FAT and OPEN (CFO) is an open source synthesizer, mixed with a stylophone, a gameboy, a circuit bent toy, and then some software too...

here's a feature list of the current build:
- monophonic sound via 12bit DAC
- stylophone input (can be overridden by CV / analog input)
- pitch bend / expression control via body switch (can be overridden by CV / analog input)
- CFO is programmed in arduino programming language. cpu: atmega328.
- custom tracker software is available for programming arpeggios / instruments. tracker software is programmed in processing.
- midi in via (programming) FFT-USB cable is possible (although not implemented in code)
- sync+data send+receive via infrared connection possible (limited support in code)
- op amp with bass boost + distortion
- 16x2 character LCD displays
- 16 LEDs for step sequencer
- rotary encoder + navigation buttons for general UI

its been around for a while now, but it never seems quite there, so i've been postponing going official with it.

but in the spirit of open source "release early, release often", i am now throwing this project out there. even if it not really there yet. basically i need a lot of code cleaning, eagle PCB layout cleaning before i can put the source code files out there, and i need some serious documentation polishing before i can release the kit.

CFO is based off my thesis project i did at CIID, which i introduced at blip! scandinavia 2009 (although not close to finished at the time). my thesis ended up in a working prototype (ver 0.1), which i have now refined more, added software, better hardware etc.

the project has been somewhat delayed by the fact that i got a daughter 10 months ago smile, but recently got kicked to life again, when the slovenian data art festival MFRU and the norwegian PIKSEL festival invited me to do CFO workshops. MFRU even funded production of new PCBs. so CFO is now ver 0.2.

you can see documentation from the workshop, and much more about the project at this wiki: http://wiki.8bitklubben.dk/index.php/CFO

i am trying to set up a more descriptive and less cluttered website here: http://8bitklubben.dk/project/CFO/

i am really trying to land somewhere in between a performance instrument with chip tune inspiration and a platform for musical exploration. that is something for the coders and hackers who wants to program synths and sounds, but does not want to start from scratch with the hardware and/or code, and something for musicians who wants a portable performance instrument that does chiptune tricks.

at some point in the future (not too far away) i hope to reach version 1.0 -- that would be a hardware build which is error free with software which has some minor updates to the current one -- and once i am there, it is the plan to release this as a kit.

Hoxton, London UK

Incredible. Props! oh and well done on the baby.

Geneva, NY

HOLY!

matt's mind

thats awesome.  its like a utility knife in a way....  it just keeps doing stuff.  thats really cool.  great work!  so happy with the seq in there too! wink

cph

hehe... thanks! i guess it is kinda feature bloated.... that's what happens when you start digging the atmega328 chip and you see a free pin - it just has to have a function!!

as i also mention in the video, in some respects this is a proof of concept. all features work, and mind you, it is really funny to play and sounds pretty great, but it is not going to be really awesome until the programming follows through. there is a lot of potential and possibilities that are not yet explored. it's the whole point in a way, but it also makes the thing damn hard to finish.

Chicago IL

i thought this thread was about my butt hole

Sydney AUS

i thought this thread was about Saskrotch's mother.... tongue

Oh my god, I want one. Seriously, I do.

I also want a CFO. (Easier to get than a baby, I guess.)

cph
El Huesudo II wrote:

Oh my god, I want one. Seriously, I do.

I also want a CFO. (Easier to get than a baby, I guess.)

that might very well be possible. i can only help you with the synth though:

right now there are 4 functioning ver 0.1s -- 12 functioning ver 0.2s, with PCBs to make 13 more. mind you, this is not a kit for beginners. there is a lot of parts and the documentation is not really that great right now.

but it is very possible: with supervision 11 people (most total electronics beginners) were able to put together a synth each on 1 day. we bugfixed and rehearsed the next day, and in the evening we played a freeform CFO jam for audience(!). this was MFRU festival, and this was recorded on video too. i will post it as soon as i have a copy.

in the mean time you can check out the pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kubapinkwi … 272800825/

(yes, that is goto80 and raquel meyers there)

cph
Saskrotch wrote:

i thought this thread was about my butt hole

and yeah: the name is pretty kinky. but good, no?
i tried finding alternatives, but somehow this name is just unshakeable.

Chicago IL

well alright. it looks pretty awesome, i just hope it doesnt push back n106 in ft :'(

cph
Saskrotch wrote:

n106 in ft

?

cph

oh and i forgot: there is also a facebook group for those into that: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=gro … 2&ap=1

Chicago IL
jsr wrote:
Saskrotch wrote:

n106 in ft

?

arent you the jsr that does famitracker?

D D D Detroit, not the burbs

this is amazing, though i dont think i can help with finding cheaper parts for new units, i will see what i can do about getting a friend who turns near autistic when going over code.  No promises, this is a message board after all.

cph

whoa, somehow i fell out of the notifications on this thread. sorry.

@ saskrotch: nope, i am jsr of copenhagen, denmark. curious to know who this other jsr is? should i battle to claim my handle?
@ DJCactus: sounds real good! how did your friend react to that request?

we are planning a workshop in copenhagen in may. building 25pcs. so i am going over the project again these days to bug fix / code / and document for the build instructions and the project in general.

so i finally made a demo video! enjoy:

if you are in the copenhagen area in may, goto the labitat wiki and sign up for a spot in the workshop: https://labitat.dk/wiki/CFO