Hi everyone,

i have been stupidly busy building gameboys for other people that i have had no time to build any for me. but now i got a bit of free time, i decided to take apart RGB boy and fit a bluetooth audio transmitter inside. now the gameboy has a bluetooth wireless pro sound. it works pretty well but there are just a few problems, the first problem is a delay in the audio. its fine for one gameboy but any other instruments at the same time and they would be out of sync.

the other problem is that there is slight distortion added by the bluetooth compression and a ground loop problem that causes a slight buzz. you can only really hear it when the music is not playing, but its not as good as a real pro sound.

the bluetooth unit is in the back between the cartridge slot and the battery compartment, there is an extendible antenna on the top of the gameboy and a button to switch the bluetooth on and off. it takes quite a bit of power which is not good on a gameboy that is already low on power, and the battery warning light on the bottom switches on now and again because of it.

over all i am pleased with it, and i think it would work a lot better in a gameboy that doesn't have all the extra crap in it.

HERE IS THE VIDEO!!!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X0q8n5uTYQ

Last edited by NeX (Jan 14, 2011 9:02 pm)

Matthew Joseph Payne

o_o

holy crap man, every time, wow

I mean, you just wired a commercial bluetooth audio set into it, right? But how did you fit the damn thing in there? If I ever got something like your RGB boy closed and working in the first place, I don't think I'd ever want to open it up again!

yea it was a cheap hongkong thing from ebay, first of all i halved the size by taking the battery out, then i cut the antenna off, then cut off the usb charging socket and the charging circuit, so i was able to cut it down to about half the size of a postage stamp (same size as a half speed crystal)

haha well the gameboy has been sitting in bits for a while, i opened it up to put in a battery monitor light (made by Kitsch and very awesome!) but the gameboy broke and the shear task of fixing it, broke my heart and i left it for about 2 months, but i got it working again today and it feels great to have my desk clear!

BOSTON

hey nex! i'd like to chat with you about a possible DMG commission, can you PM me your email? {for some reason i can receive PMs but not send them...}

heart

you can drop me an email: Ralph (dot) nex (at) gmail (dot) com

makes it easier smile

Hoxton, London UK

I feel for you, last weekend i did a simple prosound & backlighting and right at the end the front circuitboard split in half. I had to solder the broken bit back on with connecting wires!

that sounds painful! how did you snap the circuit board?

Santa Barbara, California

Haha! That thing looks so space age. Its epic, amazing man.