matt's mind

from the newsletter 

hey everyone --

boneless, the album-on-cartridge from the mist toggles, is back in the shop: http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/boneless

pretty limited, so snatch it up if interested wink

keep chipping!

matt

thanks!

matt's mind

from the newsletter

hey everybody -

busy day, let's get to it:

lsdj stickers have arrived, and are available: http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/lsdj-stickers

a B&W one comes standard with each 64m cart now wink

which... are back in stock: http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/usb-64m-smart-card

as are krikzz's super-everdrive (non-usb) carts: http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/su … ve-non-usb

fun times.

as always, keep chipping!

matt

thanks!

matt's mind

from the newsletter

hey everybody!

exciting news, we've just put out our newest product, the batt_dmg.

batt_dmg is a low-power LED indication kit which visually alerts you when your batteries in your DMG are getting weak to the point they need to be exchanged or recharged.  this helps avoid unnecessary strain on the electrical components of your dmg, as well as provides a warning so you don't get stuck in an important situation with already weak batteries (like a concert, yikes!).

more info can be found here, and in the documentation available in the description: http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/batt_dmg

we hope you enjoy!  the kit is VERY easy to install, and makes a great beginner's project. 

till next time, keep chipping!

matt

thanks!

Minneapolis

This. Looks. Cool.

Czech republic

Great stuff again from you Kitch - you are so full of good ideas.

Not for me tho since I'm only using pockets.

edit: on the other hand - it makes me want to mod my clear boy with this and clear buttons and LEDs and stuff... hmmm

Last edited by ashimoke (Jan 31, 2011 11:44 am)

Unsubscribe

So.. the only reason we need this is because we removed the lobat light for our backlights.. cheeky!

also: if you dont gig on fresh batteries, thats YOUR problem.. big_smile

Last edited by herr_prof (Jan 31, 2011 3:12 pm)

herr prof wrote:

So.. the only reason we need this is because we removed the lobat light for our backlights.. cheeky!

But this one turns on!!!!

.... lobat lite?

but for srs, maybe a little ridiculous or unnecessary but also pretty neat. If you're going to go all out on modding a gameboy, might as well, right?

Last edited by Andrew Winzenburg (Jan 31, 2011 3:28 pm)

matt's mind

our backlight doesn't remove the power LED, which doesn't serve as a low battery light anyways, only as an indicator of power...  not sure i understand the comparison...  this is a feature never implemented on the dmg, its something i found missing and would be helpful. 

i suppose you could gauge the natural dimming of the power LED and judge whether its as bright as its supposed to be.  but, this isn't like that at all.  this illuminates when the batteries get low.  otherwise, no light.  much different concept...

in other words, this isnt' the power LED, which *is* removed for some backlight installations.  this is a new feature, not a replacement LED.  there would be no point in that...

the dmg runs at 5V internally.  meaning, ICs in this range would (typically) have a tolerance of +/- 10% for the voltage supply.  so, a suggested use at 4.5V - 5.5V.  this kit indicates when the batteries can only supply 4.6V.  so, *just* before the batteries can only output right at the lower end of suggested tolerance, which increases the life of electronics.  so, apart from knowing about a soon-to-be-dead battery, there's this also...

pocket version is being done.  chinese new year messed up the schedule.

Unsubscribe

Well one of the cool thing about the backlights is that the light starts failing when the battery is weak, and the power light DOES go out before the gb looses power.. Ill stop harshing the thread though, its a neat idea!

No wheres my gb sp prosound and sp sized dmg classic carts big_smile

Czech republic
kitsch wrote:

pocket version is being done.  chinese new year messed up the schedule.

neat!

Canada
kitsch wrote:

the dmg runs at 5V internally.  meaning, ICs in this range would (typically) have a tolerance of +/- 10% for the voltage supply.  so, a suggested use at 4.5V - 5.5V.  this kit indicates when the batteries can only supply 4.6V.  so, *just* before the batteries can only output right at the lower end of suggested tolerance, which increases the life of electronics.  so, apart from knowing about a soon-to-be-dead battery, there's this also...

The electronics run at 5V, but 4.5V of battery power doesn't mean the +5V rail is at 4.5V. Just to give an example I tossed some different batteries in a DMG with a 32M EMS cart. When the batteries were at 5.1V and 3.8V the output was 4.8V, and when they were at 2.6V the output was 4.7V. That said, below about 4.5 and it got fairly unstable. Not to say the kit is wrong, I'm just questioning the IC life claim.

I do really like this kit though, and I especially admire your choice to make it super clean and not modify the case. I've been looking at ways to monitor the battery level for a while but in the end I just used a voltage divider on a spare analog input of a microcontroller. One question though, since this kit is installed on the unregulated side, can it handle the 6V of fresh batteries or maybe if someone was using a 9V adapter?

Last edited by Rolf (Feb 1, 2011 12:21 am)

☺☺☺
herr_prof wrote:

sp sized dmg classic carts big_smile

*drools at the thought*

Matthew Joseph Payne

This is rad, gonna have to try it.

Also; since this clearly means you have a mold to make or a source to get power switches - any chance of selling just switches in colors other than light grey? It would be amazing to start to be able to replace them with clear, PIL or other versions. Always feels like a weak point after doing some appearance mods.

SLC, UT
kineticturtle wrote:

Also; since this clearly means you have a mold to make or a source to get power switches - any chance of selling just switches in colors other than light grey? It would be amazing to start to be able to replace them with clear, PIL or other versions. Always feels like a weak point after doing some appearance mods.

matt's mind

yeah, in the future when we do runs of buttons, we'll do accompanying power switches as well.  probably this means getting extra of them to offer singles to people who may want them.

I've been contemplating making one of these, I had a circuit design all made up for a bi-color LED indicator. Luckily I didn't end up ordering any circuit boards for it. I think I'll buy one of these on my next order.

Are you planning on getting in any new color buttons like...translucent light blue, translucent red and translucent green? If you can get them on your next order, I'll purchase bunch.