Grahamstown, South Africa
Skip Sandwich wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

I wish half of these people engaged throughly in 8bc where half as engaged in the rest of the community. Maybe Id know who the fuck they were then. I really want to know who you are, but 8bc has alot going against it in terms of promoting anonymity.

This is kinda reminding me of the last big blackout when I met all my neighbors. Hope we stay in touch!

signed, the first user to upload a file on 8bc,

What do you mean by not promoting anonymity?

I think he/she means that because there so many songs being uploaded at 8bc all the time, for any one person to view them all would be hard/impossible meaning often your posted music is either overlooked/forgotten etc... Am i wrong?

Cityscape, Go! wrote:
Skip Sandwich wrote:

I think he/she means that because there so many songs being uploaded at 8bc all the time, for any one person to view them all would be hard/impossible meaning often your posted music is either overlooked/forgotten etc... Am i wrong?

I guess people need to make a conscious effort. 8bc is definitely more bloated since I started using it in 2006, but that's to be expected of any community that becomes popular. I used digg for years, then I moved to reddit. Now reddit is more popular than digg, and soon enough something will replace reddit, just like 8bc will be replaced if it stays on its current path. I remember 8bc had around 3,500 registered users when I joined, now it has what, over 15k? But it's not too late for these communities to stay strong, their users need to make an effort, that's all.

Leicester, UK

i am thoroughly stunned by people's inability to ignore drama.

it's all about the music at 8bc for me.

california
Skip Sandwich wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

I wish half of these people engaged throughly in 8bc where half as engaged in the rest of the community. Maybe Id know who the fuck they were then. I really want to know who you are, but 8bc has alot going against it in terms of promoting anonymity.

This is kinda reminding me of the last big blackout when I met all my neighbors. Hope we stay in touch!

I think what he means is there are shit loads of 8bc users who aren't really engaged with the community. 8bc is casual and promiscuous by it's design. I think that's what he meant.

Skip Sandwich wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

You see, 8bc is designed so that when you sign up, your user name looks the same to you, but to everyone else is a randomly generated name, made using this. It is also the same for song uploads. All songs are replaced with a random song selected from a collection of 1 minute songs crafted by following Sabrepulse's LSDJ tutorial.
Because of this, no one know's* who you truly are, and you actually don't know who any one else is or the music they are creating.

*post-post correction: know is

Last edited by Andrew Winzenburg (Feb 4, 2011 7:28 pm)

Westfield, NJ

We should all be required to log in with our Facebook accounts.

▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐

http://trash80.net/junkfood/8bitnamegenerator

my name from now on is "NanoEyes"

California

http://trash80.net/junkfood/8bitnamegenerator <<<<<< endless lulz

Nashville, Tennessee

i have noticed, on literally dozens of occasions, that it's the same small category of people who always complain about the same things.

perhaps you should step back and look...

just posting an opinion.
the internet is for opinions.
heart

the haters, are in fact, going to hate, yet players...shall always play

IL, US
Skip Sandwich wrote:

8bc is definitely more bloated since I started using it in 2006... 8bc had around 3,500 registered users when I joined...

thatd be more like around 2008 or so if it was 3500 members...i made my account in 07 and was somewhere in the 600's or 700's as far as member #..was well over 12000-15000 when i stopped going there in december 2009...

e.s.c. wrote:
Skip Sandwich wrote:

8bc is definitely more bloated since I started using it in 2006... 8bc had around 3,500 registered users when I joined...

thatd be more like around 2008 or so if it was 3500 members...i made my account in 07 and was somewhere in the 600's or 700's as far as member #..was well over 12000-15000 when i stopped going there in december 2009...

I lurked from 06 to 07, I remember in 2006 there were a lot registered, but only a few hundred that were actually active within the community.

San Luis Obispo, CA

I like chip music.

Los Angeles

The name generator was inspired by 8bc user names. 
To some, it seems a bit tacky to be coming here only when 8bc is down, to post about it being down.
Ps: I'm hosting this site.
Pps: 8bc would not be functional without some key contributions from the people who help out here.
Ppps: jose made some major mistakes which inspired this sites launch, like facebook is to myspace, we felt there needed to be a better option for the chipmusic community which was open, free for use and free from ads, and didn't make you feel like a dirty whore after use.
Pppps: features here will be added at some point. Hopefully soon.
Ppppps: heart

Sweeeeeeden

Fun fact about 8bc's membership numbers: Before I got stripped of my admin rights on 8bc, I queried the database to see how many members were "dead", according to the following criteria: 0 forum posts, 0 image/music submissions, 0 comments and haven't been logged in for a month. I don't remember the exact ratio, but I think it was about 40%. A significant amount, at least. And I don't see any reason why that number would be lower today.

shanghai

a few days with no 8bc drama, i didnt have to look very far to see where it had gone haha, i like this one better because the black backround helps me to relax, but on 8bc there is lots of good dubsteps man, on here though there is messaging which is pretty neat, but on 8bc i can see all the music on the homepage, chipmusic might try to hide my submission just a little, but the factor beyond all factors - 8bc is bringing the trolls, chipmusic is bringing the snobs lets face it, me im a gipsy, i roam between the two and never call one place home. yeah.this comment really belongs on an 8bc forum.