Kiel, Germany

I got busted for publicly busking twice, so I don't do that around here anymore >.>
But yeah, talking to/stalking artists I like, talking to people, blah.
I try not to spam my music to people I know IRL, but am always up for gigs and stuff.
Also, what Reteris said.
I should do more promotion.

DE TRT

I do what Edward Shallow does. I play a show, people ask me to play more shows. I play those. etc. Chain reaction.

But I also just talk to people/artists/anyone who likes my music.
I post when I have a release on forums/twitter/facebook whatever.
&That's about it.

Eanske, Holland

I tried sending artists I like (madonna, r kelly etc) some dead catfish with a cd-r taped to its gut.
They never replied  Am I doing something wrong ?

Cambridge UK

you should've sent a DAT tape instead of a CDR because that's what professionals use.

Tacoma WA

not really sure if i am interested in promoting my self honestly.

this is my hobby and i have a full time job wife and child on the way so time i knid of a precious commodity for me.

what i have done is intercepted dead catfish with cd-rs taped to them that were sent to the stars (madonna, r kelly etc) removed the taped cd-rs with my own and repackaged them.  that resulted in more hits then wearing a three wolf tshirt into wall mart.  unfortunately the wife became tired of all the limousines parking in front and smashing the iris' and how the stars would never replace the toliet paper when roll when they used the last bit.  so it had to end.

PDX

EDIT:

Make good music, or music people think is good. They will take care of the rest.

Last edited by RushCoil (Jan 20, 2010 1:35 am)

Eanske, Holland
infradead wrote:

not really sure if i am interested in promoting my self honestly.

this is my hobby and i have a full time job wife and child on the way so time i knid of a precious commodity for me.

what i have done is intercepted dead catfish with cd-rs taped to them that were sent to the stars (madonna, r kelly etc) removed the taped cd-rs with my own and repackaged them.  that resulted in more hits then wearing a three wolf tshirt into wall mart.  unfortunately the wife became tired of all the limousines parking in front and smashing the iris' and how the stars would never replace the toliet paper when roll when they used the last bit.  so it had to end.

wow this forum is soo much better then 8bittrollective ! I love how you guys share the tricks of the trade with eachother !
keep going smile

New York City
RushCoil wrote:

EDIT:

Make good music, or music people think is good. They will take care of the rest.

Why did you erase your lengthy post? It was good sad

Milan, Italy
calmdownkidder wrote:

Send me a physical CD plz sir kthx

k. smile

lolusa

i feel like an asshole when i talk about my music

DE TRT
ovenrake wrote:

i feel like an asshole when i talk about my music

^

i don't mention my music to my friends unless they ask.
which is highly unlikely

Last edited by Pompei (Jan 20, 2010 2:36 am)

I really don't "promote" myself to an audience. I really only show my music to my friends anymore.

As infradead said, this is really just a hobby! I don't plan on making a living out of making music on obsolete game consoles haha.

It's kind of nice to know I have friends who are interested in my music though and it's always nice of them to give me suggestions on what to change and fix and stuff! I think that's what I care most about, becoming a better musician.

EDIT: typos! OH NOEZ!!!!

Last edited by arlen (Jan 20, 2010 3:00 am)

Québec

Nobody knows about my music.

NJ/MA

I really don't try to or know how.  I try to show other chiptune musician's music to alot of people, hopefully they might do that same.

IL, US

i probably should promote myself...hmmthat only took 9 years to realize

BOSTON

im just going to leave this here...

*edit: ah, seriously though... the most important thing that i have found is to find a group of people that share your musical interest and just DO IT: play shows, send stuff out and take risks. sounds retarded, i know, but everybody that becomes successful does so by different ways. the only thing that is similar is that they worked hard at it and didn't give up on it. figure out what works for you.

*edit 2: also- CDK is right, hard work is everything, but connections are everything else. but the "connection" thats going to matter isnt some business man in a suit, its some random kid who likes your music that may know some dude at the radio station, or newspaper, or whatever. make friends! talk to people!

good luck big_smile

Last edited by BR1GHT PR1MATE (Jan 20, 2010 4:54 am)