London

Hello everyone, just thought I'd introduce myself.

For all intents and purposes, my name is pyEss (pronounced p-s). I'm 18 and on my way to Uni next year to study creative music technology. I'm relatively new to making chiptunes, but have been a fan for a long time.
I got my hands on an LSDJ catridge and after a few hours learning it I was beeping away. I dunno if it's frowned upon or seen as 'not true 8 bit', but I'm more of a software man (I just find it easier!).

So yeah, you'll be seeing me around.
smile

its perfectly fine if you use software, plenty of people do.

its not any less "8-bit". if its good music, who really gives a shit?

also, welcome aboard!

London
arlen wrote:

its perfectly fine if you use software, plenty of people do.

its not any less "8-bit". if its good music, who really gives a shit?

also, welcome aboard!

Well that's good to hear.

Some people I've spoken to before are really douchey about it.

Canada

You'll get people who frown upon these 'software' to make 'fakebit,' (to put it very simply), but you won't find TOO many of those people here; this community is more or less mature. (from what I've experienced).
I'm fairly new, and I've uploaded a few tunes entirely made by software and they've had good reception, just to give some insight.
As arien said, good tunez are good tunez.

Welcome brobiwan kabrobi.

Last edited by Jansaw (Feb 9, 2011 3:13 am)

London
Jansaw wrote:

You'll get people who frown upon these 'software' to make 'fakebit,' (to put it very simply), but you won't find TOO many of those people here; this community is more or less mature. (from what I've experienced).
I'm fairly new, and I've uploaded a few tunes entirely made by software and they've had good reception, just to give some insight.
As arien said, good tunez are good tunez.

Welcome brobiwan kabrobi.

Well I look forward to getting some feedback on my tracks from people who know what they're talking about, none of my mates are really into chiptune like I am. I mean my girlfriend likes the stuff I do but that's the partner's default answer if the other half asks their opinion on smething they did haha.

pyEss wrote:

I got my hands on an LSDJ catridge and after a few hours learning it I was beeping away. I dunno if it's frowned upon or seen as 'not true 8 bit', but I'm more of a software man (I just find it easier!).

What do you mean here? Is LSDJ not software?

Anyway, welcome to the board!

Cambridge UK
Jansaw wrote:

You'll get people who frown upon these 'software' to make 'fakebit'

I, for one, only frown upon introduction threads.

Westfield, NJ
pyEss wrote:

my name is pyEss (pronounced p-s)

I'm still confused. Is that "piss" or "peas?"

London
Battle Lava wrote:
pyEss wrote:

What do you mean here? Is LSDJ not software?

Anyway, welcome to the board!

Well LSDJ uses the gameboys sound card which is hardware (if I'm not mistaken), and I prefer to use Apple Logic.

London
Decktonic wrote:
pyEss wrote:

my name is pyEss (pronounced p-s)

I'm still confused. Is that "piss" or "peas?"

It's pee es like postalscript.
I always used to use the handle spoon pandemic when I was younger but somehow I feel like I've out grown it. I already make a lot of dubstep under the name Esspy (S P) so for my chiptune tune projects I reversed it (P S).

IL, US

kinda unlikely that many of us remember him, but there was an artist (who seems to have disappeared sad ) named P*S around a few years back...just a early heads up warning on a very similar artist name from within the same scene

uhajdafdfdfa

hello

Bronx, NY

Welcome to the forums

London
e.s.c. wrote:

kinda unlikely that many of us remember him, but there was an artist (who seems to have disappeared sad ) named P*S around a few years back...just a early heads up warning on a very similar artist name from within the same scene

I did a bit of reasearch on the name before I joined but I didn't see his name.
Thanks for the heads up smile

Chepachet, Rhode Island

I'm fairly new to LSDJ and making chipmusic as well (6 months).  Let me know if you want some tips, advice, or just general learnin'.  I know when I first started with LSDJ I had a bunch of questions but just kinda kept to myself (for better of for worse).  I just know it's nice to hear someones willing to help so don't hesitate to PM me with anything!

IL, US

http://www.last.fm/music/P%2AS
i miss yujie, he was pretty cool