London

I make most of my music on an iMac with a midi controller and Logic Pro. I was thinking that if I ever wanted to perform live, there would be nothing for me to do other than push play. So I wanna ask, what set up do you guys have when you perform live and any essenstials I should purchase in preperation?

GNV / FL / USA

Some alcohol.

London
NO CARRIER wrote:

Some alcohol.

Check

california

Ummm... any of the myriad of chip hardware available. Or you could use a sampler and some midi controllers.

If you plan on using your iMac live, a portable audio interface might be helpful in the long run instead of just going 1/8" out. Or you could get a rack mounted audio interface like my Firepod and carry that with you too, really.

But beer pretty much is a necessity

often performance becomes more about your presence than actually playing live but of course that's not always the case either.

Brazil

If you have some kind of way to trigger it, then that's where you should try.

brooklyn!

if everything is on logic, get yrself a little midi board and play some stuff live! either to accompany what you have pre-recorded or you can drop some stuff out of your tracks and play that. having an instrument will make everything much more active and show that you're doing something.

and don't listen to an0va. beer isn't REALLY a necessity. i mean, it could be whiskey, vodka, malt beverages, whatever. but beer is a popular choice.

Westfield, NJ

Not everyone just hits play.

Philly, PA, USA
Decktonic wrote:

no, everyone. ever.

Clear one of your tracks and play the part live with your midi controller. Otherwise, if it's got knobs n shiz, link it to some effects to do live. Kids go crazy for slow cutoff fade-ins.

buffalo, NY

Oh just mime it and pretend you're doing stuff big_smile

London
Decktonic wrote:

I didn't say anyone did.
I said I didn't know what I could do other than that which is why I'm asking what everyone else does.

London
danimal cannon wrote:

Oh just mime it and pretend you're doing stuff big_smile

Yeah I always thought I could spend money buying all this fancy equipment and not bothering to learn how to use it and just pretending smile

Westfield, NJ

Follow Andrew's advice. You could even consider adding some extra instrumentation to your track on top of what's already there. Otherwise, effects are the easiest option and that's what I use when playing my Ableton stuff live.