Brooklyn, NY

Next time, on SKINS...

Long Island

I feel like I should chime in and defend raves a little bit, but... I can't.

It hurts a little to say this, but I think I like raves better as a point of nostalgia than a 2011 reality. I feel like ravers and raves as a whole are a little too far removed from the founding ideals that fueled the scene as a popular movement in the 80s. With that in mind, I'm also a little too far removed from my early 20s to be like "Dude, playing for high school kids on drugs is awesome!"

Not saying there's anything wrong with that, per se, but it's sort of pushing the moral envelope for me personally.

Last edited by chromix (Feb 11, 2011 9:40 pm)

Godzilladelph
Zen Albatross wrote:

Next time, on SKINS...

lol oh god.
yeah Josh (Bit Shifter) said it perfectly; how i feel about this.
@Bright Primate: they aren't booking anymore acts apparently. they think one dj spinning chiptunes is enough. it is not X3
@Chromix: it makes me a bit sick how kids will meet me at warehouse parties and try and start up a convo with "so are you a raver?". that is seriously not a thing to be in this day and age lol. no offense to the folks who are just trying to have a good time, i love me some molly and glowsticks, but from what i've heard the true rave scene is long gone. let's do something new.

Last edited by Zomvor (Apr 2, 2016 2:32 pm)

Long Island
Zomvor wrote:

It happens to every "scene", chiplads. Hardcore music, metal, trance, hiphop, etc. Raving isn't the only victim, it's just the latest.

We never called them 'raves', we called them 'parties' because that's what they were. There were NO tickets to raves, and often there was no huge advertisements either. Mostly word of mouth since it was such an underground secret, held in the middle of butt fuck, forests, shady run down buildings, or abandoned warehouses that could hide our shenanigans.

Nothing will EVER be "what it used to be." What made "raves" so great was the mindset of everyone. We're all so damn jaded now.

you're preaching to the choir son. i'm jaded tom, after all.

jadedraver.com

Last edited by chromix (Feb 12, 2011 3:36 am)

Long Island
SKGB wrote:

@Chromix: it makes me a bit sick how kids will meet me at warehouse parties and try and start up a convo with "so are you a raver?". that is seriously not a thing to be in this day and age lol. no offense to the folks who are just trying to have a good time, i love me some molly and glowsticks, but from what i've heard the true rave scene is long gone. let's do something new.

Couldn't agree more. Rave was great, but what was great about it can be found alive and well with the chip scene. I will always be a raver, but what that means to me is definitely not what it means to people who are just discovering the word.

california

I hate being old and grumpy >:(

New York, New York

I am friends with a hardcore dj from the midwest rave scene, and I think by what I hear from our conversations has survived well in the underground (I have not been to a warehouse rave in the midwest so I can't speak from experience). It's not like any scene has ever had it different than rave. Chip music has similar growing issues. First it's demoscene parties and LSDj and Nanoloop making their earliest beginnings, then next thing dubstep reggae 8-bit all on YouTube. But doesn't mean that chip music nights don't exist for those concerned about chip music's growing issues.

And I think growing old and grumpy does suck. :c

Last edited by Esopus-dragon (Feb 12, 2011 6:34 am)

NJ

who the fuck is catdog

Bit Shifter wrote:

I just wanna know what a "Mario mustache ride is."

I don't even know how to imagine a mario mustache ride.

IL, US
arlen wrote:
Bit Shifter wrote:

I just wanna know what a "Mario mustache ride is."

I don't even know how to imagine a mario mustache ride.

artist's conception

Long Island
Esopus-dragon wrote:

I am friends with a hardcore dj from the midwest rave scene, and I think by what I hear from our conversations has survived well in the underground (I have not been to a warehouse rave in the midwest so I can't speak from experience). It's not like any scene has ever had it different than rave. Chip music has similar growing issues. First it's demoscene parties and LSDj and Nanoloop making their earliest beginnings, then next thing dubstep reggae 8-bit all on YouTube. But doesn't mean that chip music nights don't exist for those concerned about chip music's growing issues.

And I think growing old and grumpy does suck. :c

I went to a rave in Columbus as recently as 2005. It was doing pretty well, I have to admit. But there are problems in the rave scene that you would never in a million years have in the chip tunes scene, and I'm glad to have some distance from that.

Washington DC

I actually have seen a shit ton of fliers for this on the train! lol.

Godzilladelph
facundo wrote:

who the fuck is catdog

edit: wait i remember now, apparently he's from Jersey. Ask Will (Collier).

Man, so many things in my generation just feel fake, and so many people are plastic. there are so many shitty "scenes" running around now that are just trying to emulate musical breakthroughs of the past. I guess that's why i'm attracted to chiptunes, it's just real no bullshit fun + knowledge + tunes. and good br0s lol

Last edited by SKGB (Feb 13, 2011 5:43 am)

lolusa

I have played a few low-key raves around portland and olympia (WA).
It is definitely not my group of people, BUT they pay, open-minded, and usually a little knowledgeable of electronic music; which is a lot to ask for when it comes to most shows I play.
Even with the whole mario @ a rave presentation, I'd get on this bill ASSAP.
I wouldn't pay to get it, but I'd like to get paid and have 1500+ people know what I sound like.

Brazil

In Brazil we have "Turma da Monica at the Rave" parties. It's a hack of those "Wonder Boy at the Rave" parties.