Last edited by Zomvor (Apr 2, 2016 2:31 pm)

Connecticut USA

I grew up digging VGM a lot. So sometimes when I get bored of making other forms of electronic music. I'll make something 8 bit or 16 bit.
That's all I have to say.

Brunswick, GA USA
facundo wrote:

for me, it's about convenience and control. i am able to create an entire song, album...while i take a shit...

There are plenty of portable music-makers besides LSDJ, though none so inexpensive...

Not to play the devil's advocate, but how often do you make tunes that you want to rearrange on "stronger" software (DAW, etc) once you're through?

buffalo, NY

One thing I like is being able to have a final product immediately after I finish writing.  Throw on some mastering and YAY RECORDING

rochester, ny
danimal cannon wrote:

One thing I like is being able to have a final product immediately after I finish writing.  Throw on some mastering and YAY RECORDING

this is huge for me. totally agree.

california
goto80 wrote:

But....

Why do we talk so much about limitations? Is it just a way to conceptualize what we do and make it legit for outsiders? Since every instrument has its limitations, why are we so eager to emphasize this with our instruments, when others prefer to talk about potentials instead of limitations with their tools?

Trackers give more control and are fast to work with, especially the ones not based on samples. The low amount of waveforms and polyphony is maybe just the price you have to pay for this mega-luxury?

Celebrate!

This is exactly what I was thinking. I don't play the guitar to celebrate limitations. It's a whole package. I do agree that when someone enquires as to why I would make chip music, it seems like a good answer to say, "I like working with the limitations." But I don't really think that's true. Or like the way people want you explain any art to them. "What does it mean?" What do victorian-style houses mean? I dunno. Whatever, just imo.

Just to clairify tho, working with limits can be a fun exercise.

Last edited by gizmo (Feb 13, 2011 9:21 pm)

pdx

Here's my 2cents:
Really good points raised about limitation in all forms of creative output, but I think really this concept/idea is integral to chiptune, hence the fakebit sucks attitude that is pervasive (by no means universal or even a majority, but it exists definitely [as an aside, a similar thing happens in regards to synths "analog or die"]) or the popularity of 1-bit shit. I am slightly ignorant about this, but has anyone heard a good 1-bit song? Not a cool melody, not an amazing example of economy, but a good song? How many young (ish/er) people like modern jazz? I'll hazard a guess, not many. But you can find several chip-jazz songs/artists that are quite popular, seemingly on the basis of what the song was made on (mainly) and/or the technical aspect behind it. I personally think this whole "scene" is very rarely about the music/songs, but it is strictly defined by the instrument, not the sound, the nostalgia, etc. People will say the sound, and I believe them, but that is not what it's about. I can make square waves, easily and by cheaper methods than a gameboy. Being about the instrument, talk of limitation arises because the whole ethos is about repurposing something. You don't talk about the limitations of a guitar because you aren't using it as a platform to play video games. 99% of the people who use a guitar use it for its intended purpose, not as a paper weight or kindling. The limitation aspect comes about because making music with a gameboy is strictly not its intended purpose. Similar ideas come about in regards to hacking or circuit bending.

Last edited by melkor (Feb 14, 2011 3:26 am)

Canada

I don't like this whole 'limitations' sentiment.
Each instrument is unique, and they all have limitation. What's the point in arguing over whether or not that's a good or bad thing? What happens if it's bad?: Music sucks, playing instruments suck, there isn't one that is limitless, therefore I hate everything.
Limitations allow each instrument to become specialized.
Also, so what if limitations are good?: I play the classical guitar because I love the unique timbre, not because I'm limited to playing softer contrapuntal/expressive scores.

Make tunez, love what you're doing.

california

I guess it's about whatever you want it to be about though.

Last edited by gizmo (Feb 14, 2011 6:51 am)

BOSTON
melkor wrote:

I am slightly ignorant about this, but has anyone heard a good 1-bit song?

uhhh...

pretty much anything by Shiru: http://soundcloud.com/shiru/disposal-orbit also check out attack on the mothership and astro force. genius.

pretty much anything by mr. beep: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62cnCg5YJVg

Tristan Perich seems pretty legit to me: http://www.1bitsymphony.com/

the limitation of music lies only with the composer, not the bit-rate, obviously

Last edited by BR1GHT PR1MATE (Feb 14, 2011 5:02 am)

california

...durr, whoops.

Last edited by gizmo (Feb 14, 2011 6:51 am)

pdx
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

Tristan Perich seems pretty legit to me: http://www.1bitsymphony.com/

the limitation of music lies only with the composer, not the bit-rate, obviously

I'm glad you mentioned this because I actually searched around after my post and found Mr. Perich's projects, and I think it actually proves my point. Would you listen to the 1-bit symphony (and quote it as an example) if it was created with a modern DAW and titled "1-man symphony"? Maybe, but I think the reason you brought it up as a "good 1-bit song" was the fact the it is good FOR a 1-bit song (Sorry for the caps, I don't know enough internet to italicize). Which I think is really the heart of chiptune. Most of the (chip) music that is good, is good FOR being made on a specific platform. There is some good chiptune that is good as music qua music (in other words, the fact that it may be considered good REGARDLESS of what hardware/software were used to create it). Tristan's idea, while fascinating as a piece of modern art and a great idea, is strictly not good as music qua music. If it was, why go through the trouble with making a circuit for each consumer? You could just record the output of one, burn it on a cd and call it good. I realize that good is subjective and that you may think that the 1-bit symphony qualifies as a "good" song. To that I have nothing, except that I wouldn't really believe you.  Because I don't think that it is good IN-AND-OF-ITSELF as music but rather more so as a piece of modern art. Mayhap I am wrong, I read that Paul McCartney tried to write classical music but failed (critically) because of poor instrumentation. Is the 1-bit symphony the modern Beethoven's Ninth and we just need to play it with violins and violas, and viols? I think not.

pdx
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

uhhh...

pretty much anything by Shiru: http://soundcloud.com/shiru/disposal-orbit also check out attack on the mothership and astro force. genius.

And after a listen to these gems I think my point is even further solidified. The only reason these were mentioned is because you assumed that by virtue of my posting on a chiptune site that I would "get" that these are good songs. When in fact they are not "good" (my apologies Shiru and mr. beep) but rather good FOR being made with 1-bit tools. Again subjectivity rears its head, but:
Would these songs be considered "good" if you found out that they were made with LSDJ? or NL2.3? or DS-10? or a modern DAW such as Ableton? I find that proposition utterly laughable. I really don't think that it is "the sound" in these cases, because honestly they sound like shit (maybe in a punk type of way, but shit regardless). I am not proposing that these songs are bad per se, but rather that the people who appreciate them, appreciate them BECAUSE OF the platform they were made on and BECAUSE OF its limitations and they recognize the skill it takes to coax the semblance of a song out of one. [Sorry if I am coming off as harsh, this is not an attack on primate, shiru, or beep, just expressing my perspective. keep doing that voodoo that you do]

England

i dont like making music with software on PCs much

Last edited by Jellica (Feb 14, 2011 12:35 pm)

Melkor, your argument makes no sense. You asked if there were good 1bit songs/compositions, and some were presented to you. Perhaps the compositions presented aren't up to your standards, but in theory a good 1bit piece should be every bit as attainable as a composition for any instrument. To blacklist a composition by the virtue of what instrument it was composed on/for seems heavy-handed and frivolous. What if you arranged an excellent piece for two cellos as a 1bit piece? Would the composition itself, distinct from the performance, suddenly and irrevocably be degraded?

You ask if they would be considered good if they were made on more advanced software but that is a side-stepping of the main argument; A good composition would still be just that even if it were only sheet music scrawled on a cave wall.

uhajdafdfdfa
melkor wrote:
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

uhhh...

And after a listen to these gems I think my point is even further solidified. The only reason these were mentioned is because you assumed that by virtue of my posting on a chiptune site that I would "get" that these are good songs. When in fact they are not "good" (my apologies Shiru and mr. beep) but rather good FOR being made with 1-bit tools. Again subjectivity rears its head, but:
Would these songs be considered "good" if you found out that they were made with LSDJ? or NL2.3? or DS-10? or a modern DAW such as Ableton? I find that proposition utterly laughable. I really don't think that it is "the sound" in these cases, because honestly they sound like shit (maybe in a punk type of way, but shit regardless). I am not proposing that these songs are bad per se, but rather that the people who appreciate them, appreciate them BECAUSE OF the platform they were made on and BECAUSE OF its limitations and they recognize the skill it takes to coax the semblance of a song out of one. [Sorry if I am coming off as harsh, this is not an attack on primate, shiru, or beep, just expressing my perspective. keep doing that voodoo that you do]

i would still like shiru's songs if i found out that the he was lying and they were all made in cubase