Westfield, NJ
herr_prof wrote:

Well if you dont make music that you yourself wants to hear, whats the point of making music?

The admiration of others.

FlashHeart

Wordsworth made the point about limitations being inspirational very eloquently many years ago:

Nuns fret not at their convent's narrow room;
And hermits are contented with their cells;
And students with their pensive citadels;
Maids at the wheel, the weaver at his loom,
Sit blithe and happy; bees that soar for bloom,
High as the highest Peak of Furness-fells,
Will murmur by the hour in foxglove bells:
In truth the prison, unto which we doom
Ourselves, no prison is: and hence for me,
In sundry moods, 'twas pastime to be bound
Within the Sonnet's scanty plot of ground;
Pleased if some Souls (for such there needs must be)
Who have felt the weight of too much liberty,
Should find brief solace there, as I have found.

hardcore, Australia
herr_prof wrote:

Well if you dont make music that you yourself wants to hear, whats the point of making music?

Consider this then, Leo Fender is largely responsible for the proliferation of the electric guitar.
But he couldn't play one.
(I suppose here the point was financial gain though)

I used to make music with l-systems and the like at uni. But when I presented them, i always focused more on the code than the music itself, because I found it more interesting to talk about the process than the outcome. To me it was the process that was the art in that instance.

The fluxus movement is all about "process is art" infact it's the defining of a process that is considered the art, with the process itself an outcome, which may produce further outcome should the process be carried out.

Unsubscribe

i see your leo fender and raise you a les paul big_smile

my point being is that ive seen lots of chipmusicans quit because they "grew tired" of the sounds or because they didnt get enough scene love, but if you like doing it, that should sustain you. Being a chip producer is loads easier to produce art than holding a band together or even putting money into painting or other items.

california
herr_prof wrote:

Being a chip producer is loads easier to produce art than holding a band together or even putting money into painting or other items.

Yah, but when was the last itme you got laid for the playing the gameboy? wink

hardcore, Australia

Well played on the Les Paul.

People who quit because they don't get enough love are likely to quit anything easily.
As for growing tired of the sounds, i think that is a fair reason, while its probably not best to just quit it outright it's only natural for your music to evolve. They may "quit" chipmusic but I doubt they quit music entirely. If you like doing something it will sustain you, but it is possible to change your preferences and likes.
The point of it being easier is true of all digital media over analogue. I can make a digital recording and have an infinite number of identical copies without paying anything and without variance of quality.

california
Melkor wrote:

I don't think a child's crayon drawings are art and neither do I think an interesting pattern in nature is art. But these things are definitely beautiful and interesting.

Art is something practiced by a person. It can be the execution of a learned skill, or the innate creative force in humans.

Melkor wrote:

Are the Beatles records art? The Misfits? Southern slave songs (which are some of the most expressive and emotional things one could imagine)?

Yes those things are art.

Melkor wrote:

Again I say no, because they belong to the commons (by this I mean, not intellectual property rights but rather a seemingly universal intuitive understanding of music) in a way that I think is more powerful than mere "art".

What? If these people were touched by this thing your speaking of, and motivated to create something...that would be art.

Florida

When discussions devolve into the old "BUT WHAT IS ART?!" thing, they should probably just end.

Brunswick, GA USA
herr_prof wrote:

Profession! I relate to this question because I nearly quit ALL music at a time when I stopped enjoying the process. If I wasn't asked to share it some time ago, I probably would have kept it to myself forever.

BOSTON
Jay Tholen wrote:

When discussions devolve into the old "BUT WHAT IS ART?!" thing, they should probably just end.

NJ
gizmo wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

Being a chip producer is loads easier to produce art than holding a band together or even putting money into painting or other items.

Yah, but when was the last itme you got laid for the playing the gameboy? wink

january 29, 2011

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

It seems relevant for me to mention at this point that I am listening to far less chipmusic than I used to.
I still love chipmusic, I just don't listen to it as constantly as I used to.

I'VE LET THE SCENE DOWN.

NJ

10k, all you really need is the sick pleasure/code of honor split lp and a skateboard

here's the lp, you'll have to get your own skateboard:  http://www.mediafire.com/?40y14btboij

San Francisco

I dont listen to chiptune. nuff said.

lolusa
facundo wrote:

for me, it's about convenience and control. i... at night after i jerk off (note: don't touch my gameboy, you may catch something), while i take a shit, at a diner, while smoking outside on a sunny day.. ... I want to hear.

If I had to pinpoint a reason(s) why I persist with this hardware, this would be it.
Everything I use on a daily basis has an high level of portability, and if I can write hours worth of music with something that can fit in my backpack, consider me sold. I am rarely ever home where all of my speakers and recording equipment are. Besides, putting away time to produce music just feels too forced, which really kills the mood/process for me. Indulging yourself into new environments and actively creating something is what really drives me, not so much the end-product.

The whole "limitation" thing has been wrapped up pretty well and I was impressed, though I'd like to insert my own personal side:
I feel like I have been writing the same type of music ever since I got annoyed with my bandmates in high school. My only limitations were what I could do with my delay pedals, guitars, keyboards, and whatever else I had lying around. Everything was minimal but I kept a very specific aesthetic, that has matured to this day. The whole dance thing is just a case of me being side-tracked.

lolusa
Jay Tholen wrote:

I attended a class that revolved around this question. I only went for a month, and became too pre-occupied with how I was going to make rent/eat/not die. There is no other question I loathe more.