Unsubscribe

you will NEED a slot-1 device to program the 3in1. You load the roms on the slot1 sd card and run a ds homebrew app to load it..

Brisbane, Australia, Earth

EMS sell 128M smart carts that work with the transferrer II

just email [email protected] about it.

Melbourne, Australia

EZ flash IV... you can't go wrong

Marin<Pontevedra<Galiza<Spain

smile

0.74a soon.
sorry about taking so much time.

Plano, TX

Beautiful. I can't wait to play with the next version.

Unsubscribe

It looks like it will be worth the wait.

New York City

Is that emulator output? It sounds horrible.
By looking at the interface I can already come up with some suggestions.

- Make a key combination to go to the next track, like on a tracker on a computer, when you press TAB. going through all columns of each track to reach the next will easily get to someone's nerves (musicians are a crazy bunch, remember smile)

- A new font for notes. It's a bit weird to read (when you change to (D?)#8, for example).

- (What are those numbers going crazy on the top left?)

- What are the top "VU-like" things for? If it is each channel's volume meter as I suspect, I think it might be more useful to have a master level too, or exchange that for a master level. I wouldn't have it at all, but that's a preference (I would have more space for the song part and add pattern transposition to the song part)

This is looking really good man, god job to you and ILkke on the tracker. Keep it up!

akira/\8GB wrote:

Is that emulator output? It sounds horrible.

Yeah. It¨s visualboy advance without frameskip, and a random song with imperfect  C commands on wave channel. I need to do some optimizations before releasing it, and that-s one of the reasons.
Anyway, what did sound horrible at all in the video? I have some curiosity...:P

akira/\8GB wrote:

Make a key combination to go to the next track, like on a tracker on a computer, when you press TAB.

Thank you for the suggestion, i didnt think of that!

akira/\8GB wrote:

A new font for notes. It's a bit weird to read (when you change to (D?)#8, for example).

Hmmm i¨m waiting for iLKke to have some spare time, then i think we ll have a better font. Note: The color of the highlighted items is not tweaked yet. it is suposed to be black over yellow, not white over yellow wink

akira/\8GB wrote:

I think it might be more useful to have a master level too,

Well the vu-s are not a definite yet. They dont work even, and they are there as placeholder for the moment.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Last edited by smiker (Jan 20, 2010 8:43 pm)

New York City
smiker wrote:

Anyway, what did sound horrible at all in the video? I have some curiosity...:P

The GAMEBOY LOGO at the begining!
It's completely inaccurate.
I didn't know Visualboy Advance had such a lame sound output.
It sounds like absolute shit.
As long as you are checking the sound with a real unit, we can forget about this big_smile

Hmmm i¨m waiting for ikKLe to have some spare time, then i think we ll have a better font.

There's a load of charsets available already out there. What are the specifications? I can go through some of them.
You could use one of the Amiga tracker fonts, too! I could dump those to you right away and ILKke won't have to suffer designing one from scratch smile

Well the vu-s are not a definite yet. They dont work even, and they are there as placeholder for the moment.

Well I would consider transpose option in SONG sectr, instead of those VUs.

Thanks for listening!

Philly, PA, USA

oh man i want this.
but that would mean buying a GBA flash cart... and i don't really have a GBA.... damn it.

I agree with you about the logo. It is from the original gba bios file but  it sound completely different on every emulator you try, i.e. in noSgba it sound accurate, but there, the tracker doesnt sound like in the gba (then we have to trust vba better). Yeah. That sounds like a mess tongue.
Of course im testing it on the gba hardware : ) I would be shit if i did release a rom without testing it for real!
About the fonts...thank you for the help offering, that means a lot for me, but i gave the gfx task to iLKke, so that-s not my duty now, tell him if you wanna help, but I dont think it ll be necessary. Anyway, thank you very much : )
TSP...i`ll discuss it later with the gfx artist/layout designer.
cheers!

pixis wrote:

oh man i want this.
but that would mean buying a GBA flash cart... and i don't really have a GBA.... damn it.]

There are DS carts able to boot Gba homebrew : ]

Last edited by smiker (Jan 20, 2010 8:42 pm)

Abandoned on Fire

Love the collapsing/expanding track columns.  As usual, the excitement grows!

Central-ish VA

Oh my, that video is magnificent - cannot wait for the next release.

the heart of a mountain

grand video smiker...eager to play with 0.74a

Psydney, Australia

akira^8GB, transpose in arranger is a solid idea and it will probably feature in the dedicated arranger screen. In the tracker screen it would double the arranger's space and I don't think it is a good tradeoff. Perhaps transpose could be visible/editable when you have a position in the arranger selected. Guess it's best to wait until we have the basic blocks rock solid, since more ideas are bound to come in the meantime. Thank you for your feedback so far, keep it coming!

About the rest...
First of all, yes the font will be changed, you can see that it's different in the mockups. In fact, the font is already in the new tileset, but I am waiting until more stuff is final so smiker doesn't have to remap tile usage every time I decide to change the order of tiles.

Skipping to next/prev track is also planned (L, R comes to mind). The same keys would be used to jump between 'boxes' in the instrument screen. I hope to eliminate 'cursor-crawling' as much as possible.
I was planning to let smiker make a 'usable' beta so that all the keyboard shortcuts can be tested. I've given this topic a lot of consideration, and although I have come with several ideas for a control scheme (not at all hard given GBA's plethora of buttons), I think that perhaps it would be most practical to keep it as close to LSDJ and take it from there. Most people are already used to that scheme, but I think that certain things can be vastly improved, for example copy/paste. On the other hand, it would be silly not to use the GBA button layout to the max, so I'm thinking of maybe being able to switch from 'LSDJ' (legacy) controls to 'M4G' controls. There are heaps of unexplored possibilities for easy control, such as context-sensitive pop-ups. Anyway, I think it is wise to wait until we can play with most of the features before committing to a control scheme.
Furthermore, unfortunately, I do not yet own a GBA, so I am sitting with my PS2 controller and imagine what it would be like sad

About VUmeters and such...
Currently we have plenty of screen space to spare. The layout we are going for at the moment uses that space either for eye-candy (VUmeters) or readability.
It is quite easy to imagine that we will need that space in the future for more useful stuff. For me, VUmeters are useful because they provide a visual feedback for the song so you can get around easier. I am not sure what would be the use for a master vumeter, tho? If the VUmeters prove to eat too much CPU, they will be dropped altogether.

In the meantime, it would be nice to hear from you guys if you think that going with a control scheme similar to LSDJ makes sense, or if we should forget about it and focus on what's best for M4G?

New York City

Hey man!

iLKke wrote:

akira^8GB, transpose in arranger is a solid idea and it will probably feature in the dedicated arranger screen.

Oh, if there's an arranger screen, you can get rid of the song arrangement on the tracks screen, can you not? (remember my words about too much data smile

VUmeters are useful because they provide a visual feedback for the song so you can get around easier. I am not sure what would be the use for a master vumeter, tho?

The sole and only functionality of volume meters is to check teh volume level of each track. This is necesary for mixing. II don't se any other use for them. In the case of a master VU meter, you can see if you are clipping the buffer or not.

If global track volume is to be implemented, it would be cool to have a dedicated "mixer scren"where you can see the levels of the tracks, their VU meters, a master VU meter, and why not, volume command data for each track if posible (though tracking this sounds INSANE, now that I think of it...)

In the meantime, it would be nice to hear from you guys if you think that going with a control scheme similar to LSDJ makes sense, or if we should forget about it and focus on what's best for M4G?

I think it would be good to create a control scheme that accomodats wit your interface. graphic and human interface should be thought of as a whole, and applying the human interface of a software that has anotehr graphic interface sounds like a lot of problems.