Los Angeles, CA

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I must admit that I'm somewhat disappointed with this release. Don't get me wrong, I still love it and it will most likely be part of my regular musical rotation for quite some time. But with the various single tracks that IAYD has been releasing on 8bc over the past year or two, I kind of expected his 4th release to blow my mind. Not figuratively speaking, I mean I literally expected soundwaves to cause my skull to collapse onto itself and leave me reduced to a pile of blood, guts and semen. And in many ways, musicially this release seems like a few steps backwards compared to the greatness of those tracks.

It's not a BAD release. It just seems a bit repetitive for my liking. Perhaps that was the intention. But there is very little variation between the songs, which surprised me considering that most of IAYDs single tracks lately have been of varying styles and tempos. The programing, the melodies and the beats are all top notch and some of the best Game Boy stuff around, I just feel like the songwriting isn't as strong as it could be, based on his other stuff.

Fort Worth, Tx

yeah mind blowing for sure.    i kind of feel like destrcution my self lol

̛̛̩̥̩̥̩̥̅ ̥⎬̛̛̛̛̛̥̥̩̥̩̩
Wizwars wrote:

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I must admit that I'm somewhat disappointed with this release. Don't get me wrong, I still love it and it will most likely be part of my regular musical rotation for quite some time. But with the various single tracks that IAYD has been releasing on 8bc over the past year or two, I kind of expected his 4th release to blow my mind. Not figuratively speaking, I mean I literally expected soundwaves to cause my skull to collapse onto itself and leave me reduced to a pile of blood, guts and semen. And in many ways, musicially this release seems like a few steps backwards compared to the greatness of those tracks.

It's not a BAD release. It just seems a bit repetitive for my liking. Perhaps that was the intention. But there is very little variation between the songs, which surprised me considering that most of IAYDs single tracks lately have been of varying styles and tempos. The programing, the melodies and the beats are all top notch and some of the best Game Boy stuff around, I just feel like the songwriting isn't as strong as it could be, based on his other stuff.

You were expecting house, these tracks are not a few steps backwards, just a different style.
I for one prefer albums to be cohesive.

Bronx, NY

Wizwars: that's a perfectly fair critique. I love this release because I don't think of it as a few steps back, I think of it as him going back to an older style. I like that he's done so because he has a lot of new stuff that goes in different directions and it's great.

Also, I will never ever get over how beautiful that album art is. I'm not even exaggerating. It's perfect.

New York, NY

\m/!

*Really* digging "Into Ashes" right now. Parts of it remind me a bit of what a Game Boy Thunder Force track would sound like (that is definitely a compliment from my point of view.) Last track is blowing my mind too. Tons of variety on here. Amazing work.

Fort Worth, Tx
Wizwars wrote:

sounds like you just hyped your self up too much lol

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

I continue to read "Like A Phoenix" as "My Adidas" ... I WILL NEVER STOP.

NSW, Australia

awesome release. personally i like Supergalactic better. but this is still killer.

Philly, PA, USA

Wizwars: I totally understand where you're coming from, but I think you're looking at it a bit... wrong. IAYD has two styles going simultaneously, one is more this fast, hardcore, angry stuff, and the other is the highly danceable, hardcore, angry stuff. Both are awesome, yet very distinct. From what I understand IAYD has been wanting to put this sort of thing out for major consumption for some time, and I don't blame him I think it's fucking awesome. However, I totally agree with you that my taste is more for the housey stuff that he's been putting out one song at a time on 8bc, and I've told him that, hopefully we'll be getting a proper release of that stuff too, but I certainly don't blame him for wanting to put out an EP of this style stuff, as from what I understand, this is the kind of thing he enjoys more, or at least considers to be more his style.

also Nue: I understand why you would think that, but you're wrong, you like this better. sorry.

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs
10k wrote:

I continue to read "Like A Phoenix" as "My Adidas" ... I WILL NEVER STOP.

Oh shit. This time I read it as "Like a G6" ...

This condition is getting worse.

astral cat

like a benis

Winter Haven, FL

Sarah, this release is quite awesome!!! I NEED to learn me some of them fancy growling WAV tricks.

Washington DC

So glad to finally have this shit on my ipooood.

Been loving that intro for years.

:OOOOOOOOO

Edmonton, Canada

ABOUT TIME.
fuck this is good. solid release bro.

Tokyo, Japan

You know, I predict we will see a slower paced EP from IAYD withing the next few months.

This is rather fabulous by the way.