New Zealand

greetings earth people. thought id just join up and post some pics of my mod i just did this weekend.
pretty stoked it worked first time, well. .. there were some bumps along the way, but common sense and a bottle of wine is normaly a good friend, or oxymoron. i forget.

anyways, heres my sexy blue friend

btw, thanks kitsch for the parts!

Last edited by Hemisphere (Feb 20, 2011 2:20 am)

New Zealand

also, i made a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZQ4hzadF10

That looks really nice!
Any tips? (I broke two dmgs in a row(Yes I read the tutorial))

Toronto, ONT

Looks sweet!

Czech republic

It looks nice and clean! I'm thinking about gething this RGBbb now. The backlight looks actually kinda cute with it's single LED big_smile

New Zealand
Octothorpe wrote:

That looks really nice!
Any tips? (I broke two dmgs in a row(Yes I read the tutorial))

aw no man!
i would reccomend not following the tutorial perfectly. i had to follow a combination of tutorials and then wing some of it (as they do things in different orders) and i had to run wires in different places to make them fit.
the main part is making sure that you solder the right bits to the right bits and be careful.
what part did u have trouble with? the backlight or prosound?

Backlight, I was fairly gentle but still messed up the screen connector, I guess I should just be more careful. tongue (I was just using led/plastic/foil, not a kit)

Matthew Joseph Payne
Hemisphere wrote:

i had to follow a combination of tutorials and then wing some of it

This is key. There are variations in game boys both due to changes on Nintendo's end and all the abuse many of these things have been through in the last 20+ years, plus everyone has different tools, different levels of skill, etc. Soak in as much information as you can from as many sources as you can, and be open minded to changing the process as you go. Don't follow any instructions verbatim.

I've quoted it once and I'll say it again, Hemisphere, that's a super clean mod for a first timer, and you have every right to be proud of it. smile

New Zealand

yeh u nailed it kinetic.
i took ages at the begining trying to do everything perfectly like the tutorial said
u just need to be confident and just use ur common sense

and dont sever your chords screwing it back together

OK, thank you!

Auckland, New Zealand

Looks awesome! I'm going to be doing a big shop at kitsch soon... Going to try the RGBva though... The one where you can change the colour of the backlight with a screwdriver! (here: http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/rgbva# )

Wish me luck!

Did you get your prosound mod kit from kitsch? I couldn't find it....

Bristol, UK
Chip*Zombie wrote:

Looks awesome! I'm going to be doing a big shop at kitsch soon... Going to try the RGBva though... The one where you can change the colour of the backlight with a screwdriver! (here: http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/rgbva# )

Wish me luck!

Did you get your prosound mod kit from kitsch? I couldn't find it....

You don't need a kit, just wire if you search for an internal prosound tutorial smile

Chicago IL

yeah i messed up the screen connector too. just replaced the front pcb with one from a broken dmg i bought on ebay (cause it came with a working nuby). for me the problem was i was scraping the foil off the back with a razor, i didn't realize that there was that sticky layer underneath you have to take off too. once i figured that out i just held the screen in place as far as it could come out, get the edge of the sticky clear layer up, and then pulled really slowly on it with some pliers, and it worked fine.

Milan, Italy

Nice one!
My first backlit looked like this

old good times, lol

Last edited by arottenbit (Mar 4, 2011 9:44 am)

Auckland, New Zealand
arottenbit wrote:

Nice one!
My first backlit looked like this

old good times, lol

Yikes! How'd that happen?

Milan, Italy

This + Never used a screwdriver in my life.