Tokyo, Japan

I just found this while looking for art software, I haven't actually heard of it before so I thought I would share the info.

GrafX2 is a bitmap paint program inspired by the Amiga programs Deluxe Paint and Brilliance. Specialized in 256-color drawing, it includes a very large number of tools and effects that make it particularly suitable for pixel art, game graphics, and generally any detailed graphics painted with a mouse. The program is mostly developed on Linux and Windows, but is also portable on many other platforms.

http://code.google.com/p/grafx2/

New York City

It's very famous and pretty good.
It's the only software I would touch if I have no access to my beloved A1200 and its copy of Deluxe Paint.

The problem is the shortcuts are not like those of DP so I get confused, but the latest version allows you to change them to your heart's content.

There's even a version for Amiga OS 3.x!

Ciudad de méxico, MX

there's even a GP2X version of it!!!

i would love a dingux port of this

I dl'ed the osx snow leopard build but it wouldn't open....

New York City
Battle Lava wrote:

The OSX version is the buggiest shit ever. I had to crawl the web to find a working version.
I have it somewhere if you  have patience otherwise search for 'grafx2 osx leopard problems' until you land with the version that works in your machine. It's NOT the latest version though, so NO LAYERS and NO SHORTCUT REMAPPING ;(

Hmmm.  That's too bad.  Thanks for the info, though smile

New York City

Also the keyboard shortcuts randomly stop working when you leave the app in the background for random ammounts of time hmm
Someone should make a serious OSX version.

Psydney, Australia
akira^8GB wrote:
Battle Lava wrote:

The OSX version is the buggiest shit ever. I had to crawl the web to find a working version.
I have it somewhere if you  have patience otherwise search for 'grafx2 osx leopard problems' until you land with the version that works in your machine. It's NOT the latest version though, so NO LAYERS and NO SHORTCUT REMAPPING ;(

Layers are a fairly new feature, but shortcut remapping's been in there since like ages (before I even got involved with GraFX2). Not sure why they would be missing from the stable OSX build. But yeah, OSX seems to be a real bitch, each update needs to have it's own version of the program, and it's pretty hard to compile it yourself, etc.

Minneapolis

Yeah, I use this in Linux quite frequently, it's pretty slick. Of course, like Akira, I have Deluxe Paint on my Apple IIgs which is generally better.

Venezuela

i hate grafx2 and i hate iLKke!.... jajajajajaj!!! XDDDD
This program is really usefull!... i just have to change all the shortcut setup to be like-similar to photoshop shortcuts. But i still dont spend much time with this program. But is farily good, a bit confuse-mess with the right-click option at the beginning, but after you got that part, your ready to pixeling all smooth. And defenly the best part is... ITS FREE and IT HAS SO MANY OS SUPPORT!... dont matter if the OSX is not included!.... who ever cares about MAC OS!!!.... GODDAMMED! jajajajaja...

PARIS

He ILKke , where did U find a working OSX version.. try to buid it from the svn with XCode but no success smile so if you have a working binary somewhere smile

New York City

It depends on what OSX you are running. I packaged the one I am running in Leopard, here it is:
http://wtrns.fr/ZqoYygog1OqQ3g

Analog wrote:

there's even a GP2X version of it!!!

And now a Caanoo version too, it's pretty fab, because you can use the touchscreen with the stylus!

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jan 17, 2011 12:53 pm)

this link doesn't work!!
please upload again smile
I am running on snow leo and all versions from official grafx2  don't start on my system.