Florida

So I was just listening to a chipmusic EP the other day when all of a sudden a DX 7 electric/bell piano sound slapped me out of nowhere. Instant delete. Got me wondering if anyone actually LIKES that sound? Don't think I've met anyone yet.

On the other hand, I love hearing Mellotron Choir.... especially where I least expect it.

Discuss.

Last edited by Jay Tholen (Feb 22, 2011 5:23 pm)

buffalo, NY

orchestra hits.  need them.  constantly.

Chepachet, Rhode Island

Claps...I know heavily distorted claps make really awesome sounds...but just regular old fleshy hand claps can ruin a song for me.

BK

SID bass does it for me.

BOSTON

that default midi instrument "noisy stabber" drives me crazy whenever i hear it, probably because it reminds me of whenever i had to sequence a track in music school, and whoever was using the midi lab before me kept the volume cranked and id play a note AND GET NOISILY STABBED IN THE EAR. stupid noisy stabber.

that said, monkey bones and marimba sounds i find to be always pleasing. in a less "musical instrument" direction, i really really love the sound of rain

Unsubscribe

I hate the sound of free jazz on the clock radio when i wakeup. Thanks wzrd mornings!

Westfield, NJ

There's a lot that aren't coming to mind right now, but...

I hate the default kick sound that comes with KORG DS10. No one should ever use it. 

I love 808 hi hats.

Brunswick, GA USA

Doogie piano is a good example of a sound used as a bad cliche- to me, there are no good/bad sounds, only good/bad contexts to put them in. Since I started off with FM synths and midi, I've used the doogie piano and don't mind it. I've also used the sonic-ring bell and the seinfeld slap bass.

The problem with any sound that becomes a famous cliche is that if you don't use it in a way that the listener thinks is refreshing, that listener will be bored and move on. Doesn't matter if it's a synth, a drum set, or a guitar, a harmonica, accordion, whatever.

São Paulo, Brazil
Jay Tholen wrote:

a DX 7 electric/bell piano sound slapped me out of nowhere. Instant delete.

actually, this is one of the sounds I love most.

Wellington, New Zealand

I love that sound o2star uses in his adlib songs. The lead sound that sounds like vrc7 preset 1 on famitracker.
I hate dpcm drums. I don't know why but I just hate them.

danimal cannon wrote:

orchestra hits.  need them.  constantly.

England

That sound that real men make when they watch footballs.

I wouldnt like to dismiss any 'musical' sounds though really. I'm generally pretty scared of guitars but there are a quite a few bands that I love. Max Tundra and The Chap can totally rock an ochestral hit, but I'd hate the sound in most circumstances.

uhajdafdfdfa

i love the sound of kate bush's voice
i love the bell tree
i love peacock.wav
i love the gm.dls square wave / "square wave"

acid 303 quack squeak is a bit overdone

i hate the YOI YOI YOI noise some people like to make with the lsdj wave channel
i hate the blackout crew DONK
i hate the sound of metal/screamo vocalists screaming
i hate autotuned vocal "rap" noise like black eyed peas

I was tired of 303s and amen breaks and funky drummer and gated supersaw waves and hoovers until I heard them used properly and in interesting ways.

Airhorns are still lame.

Florida
chunter wrote:

Doogie piano is a good example of a sound used as a bad cliche- to me, there are no good/bad sounds, only good/bad contexts to put them in. Since I started off with FM synths and midi, I've used the doogie piano and don't mind it. I've also used the sonic-ring bell and the seinfeld slap bass.

The problem with any sound that becomes a famous cliche is that if you don't use it in a way that the listener thinks is refreshing, that listener will be bored and move on. Doesn't matter if it's a synth, a drum set, or a guitar, a harmonica, accordion, whatever.

I guessss I agree. MOST of the time I hear that specific DX-7 patch I really really hate the context though. I like FM synthesis, just not that specific sound.

Ontario, Canada

I dig damn near anything with a harpsichord in it.