Philly, PA, USA
Lazerbeat wrote:

You know, I predict we will see a slower paced EP from IAYD withing the next few months.

This is rather fabulous by the way.

I don't think IAYD knows what "slow" means, and that's not a bad thing.

Los Angeles, CA

This release continues to grow on me. Was the soundtrack to adventures on the LA metro this morning. I'm diggin' it.

Godzilladelph

yeah, to be honest, i was really expecting this one to be a mix of electro house and dubstep. I'm glad it wasn't though, that shit is way too trendy right now. Not to knock on the guys who do it well, i've just been hearing way too much of that stuff lately.

But fuck this is some of the best lsdj 4tothafloor i've heard in a loooong time

Last edited by SKGB (Feb 22, 2011 1:30 am)

Tokyo, Japan
pixls wrote:
Lazerbeat wrote:

You know, I predict we will see a slower paced EP from IAYD withing the next few months.

This is rather fabulous by the way.

I don't think IAYD knows what "slow" means, and that's not a bad thing.

Oh I didn't mean SLOW, I meant slowER, an EP of this kind of stuff

http://chipmusic.org/iayd/music/contre-les-bhmots
http://chipmusic.org/iayd/music/city-of-mediocrity

Bronx, NY

By the way, the title track "Like A Phoenix" has emerged (pun? I don't know) as my favorite on this record. So much fun, so subtly complex, so intense. Very good.

In my mind, this record is sort of like a sequel to Dirty Electricity. It sounds SO different from that one, though. A lot of people loved Dirty Electricity, and in some ways Like A Phoenix feels like a maturation of what we heard on that release. Am I making sense?

Wizwars wrote:

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I must admit that I'm somewhat disappointed with this release. Don't get me wrong, I still love it and it will most likely be part of my regular musical rotation for quite some time. But with the various single tracks that IAYD has been releasing on 8bc over the past year or two, I kind of expected his 4th release to blow my mind. Not figuratively speaking, I mean I literally expected soundwaves to cause my skull to collapse onto itself and leave me reduced to a pile of blood, guts and semen. And in many ways, musicially this release seems like a few steps backwards compared to the greatness of those tracks.

It's not a BAD release. It just seems a bit repetitive for my liking. Perhaps that was the intention. But there is very little variation between the songs, which surprised me considering that most of IAYDs single tracks lately have been of varying styles and tempos. The programing, the melodies and the beats are all top notch and some of the best Game Boy stuff around, I just feel like the songwriting isn't as strong as it could be, based on his other stuff.

Alex has been sitting on these songs for a long, long time, so it only seems logical that they're showing their age. I feel like it pads his catalog nicely, it's good old-fashioned IAYD just like mom used to make it.

lolusa
DaPantz wrote:

By the way, the title track "Like A Phoenix" has emerged (pun? I don't know) as my favorite on this record. So much fun, so subtly complex, so intense. Very good.

In my mind, this record is sort of like a sequel to Dirty Electricity. It sounds SO different from that one, though. A lot of people loved Dirty Electricity, and in some ways Like A Phoenix feels like a maturation of what we heard on that release. Am I making sense?

perfect sense and stole the words outta my mouf.
He's a real boy now :')

Bronx, NY
ovenrake wrote:

He's a real boy now :')

Holy shit dude.

Yes

Neo Jersey

this gets me pumped! NICE WORK, I ATE YOUR DOG (that is your name right???)

BRKlyn

Pretty sure it's I Am Your Decoupage

Brazil

I AM YOUR SCOOBYCORE!

It took me a while to listen cause I was not willing to. Thank god I was wrong about it. But it's more about technique than the music, in my point of view.
Don't get me wrong, I loved the album, even not beign what I like to hear. Very well constructed songs and instruments. Pure ear masturbation.

Last edited by Subway Sonicbeat (Mar 2, 2011 8:40 pm)

FlashHeart

It's A Yacht, Dickhead
Idi Amin "Yes-Sir" Dada
I'm A Yemeni Dictator
I've Arrived, You Darlings!
It Aches, Yahweh Dammit.

Abandoned on Fire

It's spelled "I Am Your Destruction" but it's pronounced "Throat Wobbler Mangrove".

FlashHeart

Italo And Yiddish Disco
I've Arranged Your Defenestration
In A Yurtlike Dwelling
Inside - After You, Dear
Interestingly, All Year Disruptions
Islamic Alcoholic Youth Delegation

FlashHeart

It's Art, You Dumbass