Connecticut USA

There's only one sound I really hate. Some of the low end keyboards have this sound. It's hard to describe but... I think the preset is like JUG... or something. It's this weird Tom sound that just goes, GUHHHHH. Yup.

Last edited by MisfitChris (Feb 23, 2011 5:14 am)

☺☺☺
MisfitChris wrote:

There's only one sound I really hate. Some of the low end keyboards have this sound. It's hard to describe but... I think the preset is like JUG... or something. It's this weird Tom sound that just goes, GUHHHHH. Yup.

d'awww but that makes for the bestest basslines tongue

West Yorks, UK

love acid bass with the res at minimum (ie no squelch)

quite dislike hoover, unless it is not in yo typical OMG RAVE CHOON!

fucking LOVE fm bell patches with loooooong release (<3 dems inharmonic overtones)

Brazil
ant1 wrote:

i love the sound of kate bush's voice
i love the bell tree
i love peacock.wav
i love the gm.dls square wave / "square wave"

acid 303 quack squeak is a bit overdone

i hate the YOI YOI YOI noise some people like to make with the lsdj wave channel
i hate the blackout crew DONK
i hate the sound of metal/screamo vocalists screaming
i hate autotuned vocal "rap" noise like black eyed peas

Kate bush always.

I actually hate wooble dubstep.

Last edited by Subway Sonicbeat (Feb 23, 2011 1:20 pm)

the sound of a falling microscope is an expensive sound

i love it

A gray world of dread

like:
- NES triangle
- 303 + 808
- oldskool hoovers
- AY squares
- C64 low-pass filter
- OPL2 and OPL3 FM
- a small flame tugged by wind
- blackbird calls
- shortwave radio noise & distortion
- dust on vinyl
- a good female singing voice

dislike:
- Gameboy square
- Jupiter supersaw trance leads
- Autotune (lol, but yeah. Especially painfull in pop-rap)
- the squeaky sound inside your head when you bite on something like a paper towel or slip with a felt pen
- a bad singing voice (male/female diva yodel in particular)
- alarm clock (any)

England

µb, this song is for you

my alarm clock makes the same sound as the one this guy sampled sad

Nomad's Land
µB wrote:

dislike:
- a bad singing voice (male/female diva yodel in particular)

you're speaking from my heart bro!!! i'd sign almost the entire rest of that list, too. also i dislike autoduck. i do like rhodes piano sounds, overtone singing and the hurdy gurdy.

A gray world of dread

Haha irrlicht, I was actually thinking about adding rhodes and overtone singing to my list! I just thought if I get to specific, I'd never be able to finish that list.

Jellica: Gah! I think everyone has an alarm clock with that sound (I need a cacophony of three alarm clocks and one mobile to awake from my torpor, and one of them sounds like that)

AANABAY01

dislike: sound of slick professional music

like: sound of crumby amateur music

BOSTON
Zan-zan-zawa-butt wrote:

dislike: sound of slick professional music

oh, thats a great point! that 'generic modern recording production sound' is so... empty, all eq'd and compressed and limited to hell. its hard to listen to without feeling depressed by the lifelessness of it. ;(

Finland

I hate synth guitars and generally the overall feeling of music that is especially in Sega arcade games. Bad synthetized soft-rock sound of  those songs drive me insane. But I guess the super annoying song writing plays a big part in those though. Synth horns and almost real sounding pianos are bad.

I love real handclaps, bells, triangle bass, home recorded guitar with bad sound, harmonicas, hammonds, dirty distorted guitars, cheap toy pianos. Feedback is good too!

Huddersfield, UK

Love: The pulse channels on the SN76489/SMS, 303/909, the flute preset on the Casio SA-5, using vocal samples as percussion.
Hate: OTT dubstep wobbles, flange, rapid panning, those trance synths that are in nearly every pop song in the UK, dramatic transpositions of the previous section throughout a song.

Godzilladelph
J&HT wrote:

those trance synths that are in nearly every pop song in the UK

sadly it's not just the uk, man

PDX, PDX

NES triganle wave with a nice subtle reverb on it.  The first time I did that in my studio I nearly died and instantly wrote a song with that and my acoustic guitar.  Thats love.

vancouver, canada

LOVESES:
- anything with a low pass filter on it
- inspired variations of stutter/retrig sequences
- PWM square of course
- quiet whispery shibuya-kei girl vocals
- supersaw
- rhodes
- that crunchy C64 snare sound from commando (bonus points if you add the kick to punch out the snare even more)
- super-reverbed claps that accompany a snare just before the "next section" of a song
- the phasing brass sound that's always in those Carl Sagan videos
- the snare used in Ninja Gaiden 2 for NES - that's the crispest snare i've ever heard in NES history. OBSERVE:

HATESES:
- general midi or adlib sounds - some of them sound like really annoying bells that way have too much on the high end
- by extension, 80% of sega genesis/megadrive sounds.  i think someone mentioned it already but there's this really cheezy instrument that everyone tries to pass off as an overdriven guitar but ends up sounding weaksauce.
- the default DS-10 sounds that come with every blank song
- lil jon "AWWW YEAH"s